Happier - Modern!Lafayette × Reader

(A/n:

This is a song fic! It is inspired by Ed Sheeran's song, "Happier". I recommend listening to it while reading this.

Warning:  Angst! Mentions of cheating.

Time:  Modern!
______________________________

(UNEDITED)

Walking down 29th and park
I saw you in another's arms
Only a month we've been apart
You look happier

It was a nice fall day. Well, not nice for Lafayette. He saw (Y/n) and this man with brown hair. (Y/n) had her hand in his, and they were doing the signature heart eyes to each other. Lafayette felt his heart break. They had only been apart for one month, and she found someone else?

Saw you walk inside a bar
He said something to make you laugh
I saw both your smiles were twice as wide as ours
Yeah, you look happier, you do

Lafayette watched as (Y/n) and the man walk into the bar. He saw as Tom held the door open for her, and how he had said something to make her laugh harder than he ever did. How he missed her smile.

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
Ain't nobody love you like I do
Promise that I will not take it personal, baby
If your moving on with someone new

He knew he had broken her. Lafayette basically cheated on her with her sister. (Y/n) and Eliza hadn't talked much after that. He also knew that this man wouldn't love her like he does. But, he couldn't take hold it against her. She had moved on.

'Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

Hercules, Alexander and John had told him that he would move on. He wouldn't feel anything for her anymore soon. He lied to them two weeks later, and said he was happier, with a smile. Lafayette knew it was wrong to lie, but he also knew he was happier with (Y/n).

Sat in the corner of the room
Everything's reminding me of you
Nursing an empty bottle and
Telling myself you're happier,
Aren't you?

Lafayette decided to go into the same bar as her. He needed to see if what had seen was true or just an illusion. When he walked in, she didn't even look up at him. (Y/N) was too focused in the guy. Lafayette made his way to the back of the room, and a waitress took his order. He had ordered a beer, but just held it as he watched (Y/N) and her boyfriend laugh and smile. He had to remind himself she was happier. Isn't she?

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody need like I do
I know that there's others that deserve you
But my darling I am still in love with you

He knew he would be lying if he said he didn't love her anymore. Lafayette still hadn't moved on. He didn't deserve her though. That man, who he now knew as Tony, deserved her more than he did. Tony didn't need her though. Lafayette did. If only he hadn't cheated.

But I guess you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'd feel it too
I could try to smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

Lafayette noticed how happier (Y/N) looked. He sadly smiled. She was happy, but here he was sulking in the corner. He knew he was happier with her though.

Baby you look happier, you do
I knew one day you'd fall for someone new
But if he breaks your heart like lovers do
Just know that I'll be waiting here for you

Lafayette watched as (Y/N) and Tony got up and left the bar. Tony's arm wrapped around her shoulders. He felt a small part of him feel warm. She found happiness. Like he wished. He knew he could have a chance if he breaks her heart. He would just have to wait for (Y/N).

_____________________________

I really liked this one! I think I'm going to do songfics too. If you guys want to leave a request, then go ahead! You could message me or just leave a comment. I'm always open.

Author out!