Let Me In (PT 2!)

(UNEDITED)

My heart was pounding in my chest. My breathing was shaky. I shouldn't have just been so blunt about it like this, I know that now. I looked at Lilith first. Her eyes were wide.

"My...daughter?" John stuttered. I shamefully nodded. It was like I was being hit with all those years of guilt. I bit my lip.

"Why did you lie to me?" Lilith finally spoke up. I also knew this question was going to pop up once I told her. I just wasn't prepared.

"Your father left and-and I knew that wasn't the best thing to tell you." I explained. Lilith shook her head. John had gone silent. I wanted him to say something-anything! Maybe it wouldn't be this hard.

"That's not an excuse!" Lilith yelled. I felt a tear run down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away. There was nothing to be said that would fix this mess I created. Lilith should be mad at me. Hell, John should too. I deserve everything that's happening right now.

"Lilith," John finally spoke. "Your mother is right. I..left. I went to go fight in the war and do other things. I hadn't sent her a letter so it was reasonable for her to assume I was dead."

Now it was my turn to be surprised. Even after all these years, John Laurens is still taking my side. That one argument seemed small now. I was facing bigger problems. All the things I wanted to say but it wasn't the right time.

"Why'd you leave me?" Lilith choked out. I could see that in John's eyes, his heart was breaking. I felt a sharp pain in my heart. This time it wasn't for me but for the man and little girl standing in front of me.

"I didn't know that you were going to be born." John glanced towards me. "I went to go fight in the war and for other people's freedom. Your mother was important to me and now you are too." John's voice was soft. Lilith let out a sob before tackling him into a hug. John gave a tight squeeze back.

I saw Johns warm smile. It was like being thrown back into the past. Before he left for the war. Why did I say those things? Maybe life would have been different. Maybe I would have read those letters he sent. I would have written back, explaining how we were going to have a child. Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that.

"Hey Lilith. Why don't you get those drawings you drew?" I blinked a couple times and looked up. Lilith giggled and ran to her room. Leaving John and I alone.

The air was thick with a tense feeling. I couldn't bring myself to say anything. John shuffled his feet and cleared his throat.

"(Y/n), I'm sorry-"
"No I'm sorry," I interrupted. Tears streamed down my face. "I was angry and hurt. I shouldn't have said that to you." I felt soft hands grab my chin. I looked up to see John with a sad smile. I pulled him into a hug.

"I've missed you so much." I said breathlessly. John hugged me tighter.

"I've missed you too, my love."

_______________________________

Yay! A happy ending.   AGalacticFox had requested a second part so thank you to her. Go check her out, her writing is amazing!

Author out!