Prologue

[ Prologue ]

[ Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital ]
[ Sunday, February 27th ]
[ Third Person ]

     It was approximately 3.15pm on Sunday February 27th, 2011.  Derek Hale knew this was approximate because he was sat on an uncomfortable green chair in the waiting area of Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital staring at the one and only wall clock in the Intensive Care Unit.

     Believe it or not, Derek Hale hadn’t taken up waiting around in hospitals as his new hobby.  No, he was on the hunt - not for human blood or revenge – (which was a nice change) - but for another beta.  He now had three in his pack, that was the normal amount but he wanted another for safe measures.

     “Shutting the life support off?”

     “That’s what she said, Ma’am.” Nurse Dunson confirmed as he pulled open the door to Rebekah Brier’s room, allowing Nurse McCall to enter before him.  “Her mom just rang up informing me of her, urm, wishes.” He struggled to find the words.

     “Why now?” Nurse McCall asked him, turning her head in his direction as she folded her arms across her chest.   “Rebekah has been on life support for nearly a year and not once has her mother ever mentioned cutting the life support.” She stated, extremely confused.  “It’s hardly as if the Brier’s can’t afford it.” She scoffed, everyone knew the Brier’s were the richest family in Beacon Hills.

     “She didn’t give any reason.” Nurse Dunson informed her, glancing down at his pin board.  “Only that she’d be arriving with her sister and niece in forty minutes to say their last goodbyes.” He recalled, glancing back up at the older woman who sported a small frown.  “Nurse McCall? Are you alright?”

     “Yeah.” Nurse McCall replied with a small nod of her head.  “Yeah, I’m fine.” She sighed, her eyes now focusing on the patient.  “I just don’t understand how you could do that, you know?” she muttered.  “Give up on your daughter.”

     “We’re not meant to judge, ma’am.”

     “Yeah, I know.” Nurse McCall retorted, taking a pause for thought.  “My son, Scott, is a year younger than her.” She told the newest addition to the Beacon Hills nursing team.  “It’s just hard to not imagine him in her place, you know?” she admitted.

     “But he’s not.” Nurse Dunson threw a small sympathetic smile in her direction.  “Her mother’s not going to change her mind, her mother sounded pretty adamant and ready.” He explained.  “There’s nothing we can do.” He added. 

     “I know, it’s just such a shame, that’s all.” Nurse McCall grumbled, glancing down at her spotless blue scrubs.   “What time is it?” she asked him, watching him as he unclipped his nurse’s fob watch and thrust it in her face – it read 3.20 pm.  “I’m going to go get myself a coffee, page me if they’re any more calls.” She ordered him, pushing open the door that lead back into the corridor.

     “Got it.”

     Derek Hale watched the two nurses intently as they parted their ways – Nurse McCall heading left and Nurse Dunson heading right.  Being a werewolf, he had overheard their entire conversation perfectly. Tightly, he gripped the metal arm rests of the chair and propelled himself on to his feet.  Turning his head, he saw an array of different people but none in blue scrubs.  He took this as an opportunity to enter this ‘Rebekah Brier’s’ room.

     Swiftly, he shut the door behind him and slightly bent the lock- ensuring that no one would walk in.  Next on his agenda were the blinds, he leisurely strolled over to the cord and yanked down on the cord to close them.  He flipped on the light switch and turned around to study Rebekah Brier.