Chapter Thirteen: Sleep. Heal. Friends.

[ Chapter 13: Sleep. Heal. Friends. ]

[ The Veterinary Clinic, Beacon Hills ]
[ Friday, March 23rd ]
[ Third Person ]

     Bekah, Derek and Scott were still gathered in the same room of the veterinary clinic. Scott was now up on his feet, Derek was still lounging against the wall and Bekah was seated on the metallic table with her legs swinging rhythmically.

     “Are you sure you’re alright?” Bekah questioned, watching Scott intently as he paced up and down the length of the room. He was all sweaty, pale and just generally ill-looking. “You look like crap.” She commented causing him to chuckle slightly.

     “Yes, I’m sure.” Scott chuckled, looking in her direction. “What about you?” he queried. “You look like crap – or as much like crap as Rebekah Brier can look like – which isn’t much.” He stammered awkwardly causing Derek to elevate an eyebrow. “You don’t look too good.”

     “I’m fine, Scott.” Bekah assured him. “Although Jackson owes me a fifty.” She glanced down at her ripped top. “Long story short: The kanima’s master – no we don’t know who it is – said that all the victims murdered him. He/She/It then used Jackson to kill Kara Simmons who wasn’t in Harris’ class of ’06 sending us back to square one.”

     “Well…..maybe that’s a good thing.” Derek pursed his lips. Bekah’s head whirled around in his direction so quickly that it was a miracle she hadn’t got whiplash. She eyes him whilst folding her arms. “A fresh start. A fresh plan.”

     “Erm…what are you saying?” Bekah questioned him.

     “I'm saying we need a new plan, Brier.” Derek stated, glancing at down at the brunette. “Because next time,” he glanced up at Scott before glancing up at them equally. “Two of us are gonna be too hurt to heal.” He told them.

     “Ugh. We get it: We can't save Jackson.” Scott moaned.

     “We can't seem to kill him either.” Derek started to moan too. “I've seen a lot of things.” He informed them. “But I've never seen anything like this.” He explained. “Every new moon's just gonna make him stronger.” He elaborated.

     “But how do we stop him?” Bekah asked.

     “I don't know - I don't even know if we can.” Derek confessed.

     “Maybe we should just let the Argents handle it.” Scott suggested.

     “I'm the one who turned him: It's my fault.” Derek insisted.

     “Yeah.” Bekah agreed causing Scott to shoot her a look from his spot. “Yeah, you turned him but you didn't turn him into this.” She reminded Derek, glancing over to him. “I mean, this happened because of something in his past, right?”

     “That's a legend in a book. It's not that simple.” Derek dismissed her.

     “What do you mean? What are you not telling me?” Scott quizzed him.

     “Why do you think I'm always keeping something from you?” Derek demanded.

     “Because you always are keeping something from me.” Scott answered.

     “No.” Bekah said to Derek as he opened his mouth – he elevated an eyebrow at her. “Scott’s right.” She stated, scooting off of the table and onto her feet. “All you’ve ever done since I met you is lie to me.” She said sternly.

     Derek tilted his head at her.

     “‘Brier, I bit you to save your life and not just because I was building up a pack of screwed up teens’ i, ‘Brier, you’re an omega – you must join my pack’ , ‘Brier, I’m not a dick’.” Bekah mimicked him poorly. “You try to keep a lot of things from people.”