Chapter Ten: 24

[ Chapter 10: 24 ]

[ 2551 Strother Street, Beacon Hills ]
[ Wednesday, March 21st ]
[ Third Person ]

     "Wait, Stiles - slow down - I'm finding it hard to keep up." Bekah told him, her phone wedged in between her ear and her shoulder. Her hands were currently covered it bright pink washing-up gloves and were busy doing the dishes.

     "Okay." Stiles paused for breath, it sounded like the first breath he had taken since she had picked up the phone. "I was talking to my dad about the murders, and the victims?" he had slowed his pace. "The mechanic, the husband, the wife - all 24." he divulged.

     "Ones an incident, two's a coincidence and threes a pattern." Bekah stated, glancing up from the dishes for a moment. "Wait." she told him, placing another disk back onto the rack. "What about Mr. Lahey? I mean, Isaac's dad isn't anywhere near 24." she furrowed her eyebrows.

     "That's what I said." Stiles stated, sounding excited about the coincidence. "That's what my dad thought too." he took another pause before proceeding with caution. "Did you know that your boyfriend had an older brother named Camden?"

     "Yeah." Bekah told him, before she began to scrub yet another glass - there were a hell of a lot of them considering it was only her and her mother. "He died in combat at 20 when Isaac was 12." she informed him. "If he were alive today he would have been-"

     "24." Stiles said at the same time as she did. "And get this," he started, sounding like an excited puppy. "They all went to Beacon Hills High - class of 2006." he chimed in. "All four of them? They were all in Harris' chemistry class." he declared.

     "That is definitely a pattern." Bekah told him as she turned the tap off and slammed the washing utensil onto the counter. "God knows how Isaac's dad fitted into it, but if the killer's not done killing-" she peeled the gloves off of her hands.

     "One of them's next."

     "Bekah, baby?!" Louise Brier called off in the distance.

    b"Look, Stiles" Bekah whispered into the phone, now clutching it with her right hand as she moved away from the sink. "My mom's calling me so I gotta go." she informed him, peeking out of the kitchen door. "We'll talk tomorrow." she assured him.

    b"Okay, by-"

     Abruptly, Bekah hung up the phone and placed it down on the dining room table the instant her mother came into the room - she was holding the landline phone in her hands as she glanced down at the phone on the table and then up to her daughter.

     "Isaac?"

     "Isaac."

     "I do like that boy, he's a real gentleman." Louise commented before putting the landline phone back into it's stand. "I was just speaking to Doctor Deaton, he wanted to speak to you about your interest in getting a job at the shelter?"

     "Wh-" Bekah began to ask but before she could raise an eyebrow she forced it back down again. Doctor Deaton was Scott's boss and also had helped save Scott a million times over. "Oh, yeah, sorry - I forgot to tell you about that." she lied smoothly.

   v "Honey, there are worse surprises than your daughter wanting to start earning." Louise told her mother causing Bekah to smile ever so slightly. "He said, if you wanted, he could push your interview from Friday to in an hours time, if you'd like?"

     Scott wanted her to come and meet him at the shelter - that was the only valid explanation.

     "Oh, well, if I could?"