Chapter 17: Always

While making her way to the refreshments, Vanessa bumped into someone. "Oops I'm so sorry" she said.

She looked up and saw that it was Tupac, eyeing her intensely.

"Oh... It's you" she said.

"Is that a 'oh it's you' too bad that I see you or 'oh it's you' I can't believe you're here?" Tupac said feeling offended by her reaction.

"It's neither- Look let's just go somewhere privately and talk. Ok?" she said grabbing his hand.

Tupac nodded his head in agreement.

They walked out of the gym.

"Look Pac I'm worried about you. I haven't heard from you in awhile and you haven't been to school. So tell me what's going on? I feel like I'm being avoided."

"Vanessa I'm.... I'm gonna be moving away soon."

Vanessa was shocked. "Wait a minute. What?"

"Since the arrest, my mom has been doing a lot of thinking and she decided that it's best for us to move to California to start fresh. I also got a recording contract from Interscope, they looked at my tape and they were impressed. I've been offered to be the new member in the group, Digital Underground. So I'm gonna be starting my rap career in Oakland."

Vanessa stood there speechless, trying to process everything he was telling her.

"And the reason why I haven't showed up to school is because I dropped out."

Vanessa run her fingers through her hair, walking in circles. "So where does this lead me? Where does this lead us?"

Pac looked down, then looked back at her with sorrow in his eyes. "Vanessa I came to realize that because of my reputation, there's always going to be trouble and I don't want you involved in any danger because of me. So I think it's best that we end things."

The tears began to form in Vanessa's eyes as she shook her head in disagreement. "No Pac... we belong together no matter what. Please don't break up with me."

"Vanessa I have to. It's for the best. I lived a hard life and my attitude shows it. I feel like there's always going to be somebody coming after me and I don't want you involved in that. I don't think you'll be able to handle it and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to you."