X The Shade of Time and the Youth of Promise

Over the years of his banishment, Ganondorf's spirit, Ganon, endured to meditate and muse on his return to the world of light. Upon his observance of those native to the twilight, the Twili, he took notice of Zant. And so as he saw Zant's heart of rebellion and taste for power, he saw opportunity. Ganon would give Zant his heart's desire: power and the throne of the Twili. He exploited Zant's ambitions to prepare himself a door to the land of Hyrule, and so he laid the groundwork of his revenge. While Ganon's strength would build, Zant would terrorize the people of Hyrule and prepare for his return.

  Amidst Zant's rule, the shadows would spread and expand in its dominion. Almost, that rule would be complete, save that the descended son of the Hero could not be overtaken by it. For though the shadow cursed him in becoming himself a wolf, it could not overcome him as he inherited the Triforce of Courage.

***

  The Shade had witnessed the fall of Hyrule, and though he observed the rule of Zant, he knew that Ganondorf was not far behind. And he watched as the reign of shadows came ever closer to the province of Faron and Ordon.

  As night fell, after finally finding his successor at Ordona's spring, the Shade returned to the woods of Faron. Eventually, he came nigh unto the Lost Woods of Faron, still striding as the golden wolf, and he paused a moment as he was still coming over the fact that he had found him. The mixed emotions that he was experiencing was almost overwhelming. He had closed his eyes, and then he took a deep breath. But when he had opened them, as was done in so many years before, Phaelon was standing there, strangely close. The wolf jumped back in shock, and he growled. "Hey! Hey!! ... I thought you'd be glad to see me!" The skull child stated, and the wolf, having lightened his growl, cocked his head. "I don't have fairy friends anymore. ... You are all I have." Phaelon had added.

And then the Shade strode yet forward as he both sighed and spoke. "I know. ... But please...stop doing that."

Phaelon walked beside him, "Ok. ... I'll stop doing that ..." He paused and then added some key specifics , "...to you." The Shade looked at him then, and he smirked. Then the imp stated in a more serious voice. "The wall of shadow is coming closer."

The wolf nodded, "I know. ... Which means that it will not be long now that Ganon will come."

"So, ... have you found him? The Chosen One?" Phaelon enquired in a tone of doubtful hope.

But to his surprise, the Shade had finally answered in a positive. "Yes."

Phaelon paused in staring at him in a gaze ... "Really?!?" The Shade nodded, and then the skull child asked him with both curiosity and understanding. "So, will you guide him as you guided Sarick?"

But the wolf shook his head, "No." And then the Shade elaborated. "If Link is to help Hyrule, he must learn, himself, who and what he is, and so likewise overcome his trials. ... Which brings me to ask you a favor. ... I need you to be ready to meet him when he comes to the Lost Woods, and he will come. And I need you to test him, and make him earn his way. His spirit must be ready before he can wield the Master Sword to victory."

"And what will you do? ... I thought you had been waiting this whole time to prepare him." Enquired Phaelon.

But the Shade responded, "That is why I am asking this of you. ... I will teach him what he needs to know when he is ready. The trials he will face and the tests you will give will prepare him for what I have to teach him." Phaelon was silent for a moment before nodding in subjection to the old Hero's request.

"So," Phaelon began to ask, "what will you do for now?"

And the shade simply answered. "I will watch and wait." And then the wolf bounded off once again. In following, the skull child returned to the Lost Woods as he was bidden, and he waited.