Chapter 29

Chapter 29

   I frown at Jared, "What are you talking about, you're a hybrid, aren't you?"

   Jared's face begins to crumple, "I'm another failed experiment. The AIO wanted to use me to hunt you down and when they discovered that they made a mistake, and that I would die in the course of a few weeks, they basically abandoned me." Even with his sunglasses perched on his face, I can tell that his eyes are sad, "Only the Chemical Y can save me now."

   I scratch my head, feeling guilty already. I push my feelings aside, though. If I give him the chemical now out of pity, he will suddenly "dissapear." I was sure of it. "I don't know what to say." I mumble and look down at my hands.

   Jared suddenly snaps, "Then don't say anything at all." His voice is cold and he almost makes me jump.

   "Okay," I trail off and try to change the subject, "Then why did you take away my powers?"

   Jared purses his lips, "I need you weak, that's why. Plus, the genes I found in the liquid could help me in the long run if something goes wrong with The Chemical Y."

   "What liquid?" I ask.

   "Never mind, I'll give you your powers back," Jared trailed off and added reluctantly, "Something happened with Courtney earlier. I've been thinking, and I don't think she's dead."

   My heart feels like it is running a thousand miles an hour. "What happened to my sister?" The thought of Courtney brings back many emoions that I have been trying to suppress.

   Jared looks nervous as he continues, "I don't know what you think, but it wasn't the AIO that shot Chris. It was Dinah, and after she shot Chris she ran off with Courtney's body."

   I shake my head, "There are so many things wrong with what you just said. Dinah's dead."

   "No, she was different. They did something to her, she's no longer human." Jared holds my hand, "Jessica, I think the AIO is creating an inhuman army to go against hybrids like us. They wanna take us down, and Courtney may just be another drone by the time they're done with her."

   I shake my head and rebuke his words even though they made sense. "That can't be true."

   "We both know that I'm right." Jared says steadily.

   I don't speak for a long time and I stare down at the floor, until a thought hits me. I may never see Courtney again if I don't act now. "Let's do this." I say, just in time for Chris to come into view.

   "And you're going to need my help."

   ***

   Tammy shook her head in confusion. Dinah was alive, but at the same time, she wasn't herself. Tammy was just starting to realize the seriousness of her situation. There were some real bad things happening here, but she just couldn't wrap her mind around it.

   Were they going to do the same thing to her?

   Dinah had dragged her away from the sexy guy that had came to save her and dumped her in an empty cell that was more comfortable than she would ever have imagined. She wasn't sure she could even call it a cell. The whole space was the definition of luxury--it had a creamy, plush carpet and expensive-looking furniture arranged neatly around the pristine suite. She quickly took refuge to the bed and tried to rest up for a while. She was definitely going to need it, especially with what she had planned for the next day.

________________________________________________________

A/N: Yeah this Chapter took a LONG time to come out and I'm really sorry, I'm working everyday cause I wanna go shopping and for the past few days I've been busy all day (no joke). But things are calming down so expect everything to go back to normal! By the way, I'm going to work on 2 projects at a time now, because I'm going to update another story! Don't worry, I'm not abandoning this one--I just had a good idea and I wanna see what comes out of it. I should have it up in the next few hours so check it out.

--Natalie

P.S, I'm sorry that this Chapter is so short. I'm going out in a few minutes so I didn't have time.