Chapter 15

As I entered the gym during athletics I looked around, suddenly very unsure of myself. I wasn't on the team anymore, did that mean I was now in off season, or was Rylan going to put me back on the team? I watched the other girls getting ready as I sat on the bench in the locker room and I made up my own mind. I gathered my volleyball equipment and took it to the office.

"Coach," I said as I knocked on the door.

"Yea," he said from the other side, so I pushed the door open to reveal him sitting at his desk in the cramped room.

"Just wanted to turn my uniform in," I said smiling at him, but he didn't return it.

"You can still be on the team if you want," he said looking into my eyes, but I shook my head.

"Nope," I plopped the stuff down on his desk and he smiled then. "I'm done with volleyball," I turned to leave.

"Kody," he said quietly and I turned to see him standing now. "Good answer," he smiled before kissing my forehead swiftly and pushing me out the door.

The day passed slowly and for the first time in a few weeks I wasn't trying to avoid seeing Rylan, but I didn't seek him out either. I just smiled when I saw him in the hall and passed by.

"Honey, I'm home," Rylan shouted as he walked in the door and I stiffened as the girls all looked at me.

"Excuse me real quick," I said quickly standing to run in the kitchen.

Rylan was smiling at me when I entered the kitchen frowning at him.

"What's the matter?" he asked coming towards me, but I backed away and shook my head.

"I forgot to tell you," I whispered and looked over my shoulder checking the doorway. "The cheerleading squad is here for the night."

"Why?" He frowned.

"Tomorrow is the first home game of the season, so we are planning the going ons," I said coming closer to him, it was torture being close to him without being able to touch him. "I'm sorry I forgot to tell you," I smiled weakly.

"It's okay," he smiled down at me and moved in closer to kiss me, but I stopped him by taking a step back.

"No Rylan," I said firmly and he smiled again. "I'm serious," I said turning away from him. "Behave yourself," I said over her shoulder.

"Only if you do," he smirked and my heart started beating like crazy in my chest.

"Sorry guys," I said coming back into the living room to see the girls all watching me.

"So who is that?" Jessica asked, her voice was high pitched.

"It was Jake," I lied and they all nodded. "We were supposed to have date night tonight, but I explained about the plans, so he's gone now," I picked up the construction paper I had been cutting.

"We didn't hear the door," Jessica smiled and then as if on cue the door opened and closed hard. "Oh well," she smiled at everyone, "I guess we should get back to work.

I sat there cutting, trying so hard not to injure myself. I was worried about how to explain Rylan's presence when he finally decided to make himself known. I heard the door open and close again, I held my breath as the girls all looked at me again before turning their attention to the doorway.

"Hey Frankie what's for dinner?" Rylan asked coming through the archway. "Oh sorry girls," he smiled charmingly. "Frankie I didn't know you had company."

"Mr. Huckleberry," the girls gasped and gaped.

"Frankie," Jessica sang next to me, "what is he doing here?"