Chapter 24

"I don't think I am going to be riding tonight," I grimaced at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. The bruises on my ribs were darker today and new ones graced my arm and hip.

Rylan was behind m, watching as I prodded the bruises gently.

"I'm sorry baby," he said, stepping so that he was behind me now.

"It's okay," I smiled at him in the mirror. "Look at it this way," I teased as his fingers fluttered over the new bruises, "now you have an actual chance of winning tonight."

"Oh that's right," he grinned at me in the mirror. "Well then," his hands brushed down my ribs and I shivered, "I guess I will just have to beat everyone in your honor tonight."

"In my honor?" I smiled, turning in his arms, so he would stop touching my tender skin.

"Yes," he bowed his head to me dramatically, "my lady," he went down on one knee in front of me. "I will win tonight's races in your beautiful name," he held my hand in his as I laughed at him, which only caused me to hurt more.

"Get off the floor you goof," I said, pulling him up.

"I'm no goof," he grinned like mad as he came to stand.

"Yes you are," I laughed as I made my way back to his bed, picking up my clothes on the way.

"Am not," he stuck his tongue out at me as I pulled a shirt over my head, hiding my wince from him. Jesus, I think I may have bruised those broken ribs.

"Yes you are," I said, pulling on my skinny jeans and turning to see him watching me hungrily.

"Skinny jeans?" he gulped and I smiled.

"Yep," I said, running my hands down my thighs. "Just to remind you what awaits if you win tonight."

"Tease," he cried, pulling his clothes on.

I was going to reply, but my phone sounded suddenly, and it was my Uncle's ringtone.

"I really hate that phone," Rylan grumbled.

"Yea, yea," I said grabbing it.

"Hello?"

"Kody?" My uncle asked, like it could be someone else.

"The one and only," I smiled, sitting down on the bed.

"You need to be here in 20 minutes to practice for tonight," Rylan moved behind me on the bed.

"I don't think I am going to be riding tonight," I said as Rylan pulled me back to his chest.

"Ahhh," I let out a little scream as his hands gripped a little to tightly.

"Kody?" Rylan and Daylon yelled at the same time.

"I'm fine," I lied, patting Rylan's hand, which was still laying against my stomach.

"Are you lying to me young lady," I bit my lip, he always knew.

"No," I sighed.

"Kody?" he said again, his voice harder.

"Okay," I threw my hands up and immediately regretted it. "I think I may have cracked those healing ribs last night," Rylan stiffened behind me as Daylon cursed.

"Let me talk to Rylan," Daylon commanded and before I could say that was unnecessary Rylan was pulling the phone from my hand.

"Yes sir," Rylan said quickly. I could hear Daylon's voice, but could not understand what he was saying. I could feel Rylan nodding behind me and I rolled my eyes.

"I will sir," Rylan said before handing the phone back to me, he had already hung up.

"So let me guess," I said, pushing away from the bed, "we are now going to the hospital," I turned to frown at Rylan, but he was glaring at me.

"Why didn't you tell me it hurt that badly?" he stood to tower over me.

"I didn't think it was a big deal," I said, trying to look bigger.

"Well it is," he glowered down at me. "Kody I could have hurt you," his eyes softened for second.

"Rylan," I said, bringing my hand to his cheek. "I am not breakable."

He moved into the touch, "If anything happened to you," he said and then he was kissing me. I could feel the desperation as his mouth moved over mine. I understood then, he was just worried about me.

"I'm sorry," I said when he pulled back. His forehead pressed against mine, our noses brushing.

"Kody just tell me next time," he sighed before taking my hand.

"I will," I said and his eyes met mine. "Promise."

"Good," he smiled before kissing my temple. "We are still going to the hospital though, so get your butt in the truck."

"I really do hate you," I said as we sat in the waiting room.

"No you do not," he said smiling at me.

I had in fact cracked the newly healed ribs, no riding for at least 3 weeks...great...also no cheerleading for 2 weeks. The news just gets better and better.

I was still angry later that night, but it all faded when Rylan's voice penetrated my sullen thoughts.

"I love you Kody," he said in the head phones. I watched the starting line as he swung his leg over the bike and got himself ready.

"I love you too Rylan," I smiled.

The starting gun sounded and he was off. It was like those first weeks of summer when I watched as he dominated the field.

"Great moves," I said as he tried the Dillon turn, wasn't sharp enough though.

"Still trying to prefect that one," I could hear his smile.

"You need more practice," I laughed, "plus, it's a family move," I nodded as he sailed over the last hill.

"Speaking of family," he said with a little grunt when he hit the ground, "I'm taking you to meet my parents next weekend."

"Oh really," I said, trying to sound annoyed, but I was suddenly very nervous.

"Don't be nervous," the boy was obviously a mind reader, "they are going to love you."

"Sure," I said as he crossed the finish line. "But how pray tell are you going to get my father to agree to you taking me out of town?" I asked as he walked towards me.

"Already done," he ripped off the helmet and I started walking towards him.

"Really?" I asked when he was in front of me.

"Yep," he smiled, dirt caking his neck. "I told him about us on Wednesday when he nearly walked in on the two of us necking," I blushed, he just laughed. "He said it was fine," his arm went around my shoulders.

"He approves?" I asked, looking up at Rylan.

"Your father loves me," he smiled, cockily.

"Well good thing one of us does," I teased as he put his pike in the trailer.

"Love you too Kody," he kissed me gently, careful to keep his hands on my shoulders.

"Yea, Yea," I muttered against his lips.