Chapter 25

My heart nearly burst when I stepped into the kitchen to see Kody swaying next to my mom at the counter making dinner. The radio was on, playing some old country song about heartache as her and my mother laughed, dancing around each other. Kody's pony tail swung behind her as my mom twirled her around, that's when I noticed she was barefoot.

My heart did burst when they finally realized I was standing there.

"Hey honey," my mother called, laughter still sounding from her lips. It had been far too long since my mother laughed like that.

"Mom," I nodded in her direction as Kody's eyes met mine. I didn't think it was possible to love her more than I already did, but watching the way she was with my mom made me believe in the impossible.

"Hey honey," Kody teased, I just smiled at her.

"Go wash up for dinner and call your brother inside to dinner," my mother said, turning her back to me.

"Yes ma'am," I responded, crooking my finger at Kody.

"Yes?" she asked sweetly, coming to stand just out of my reach.

"Little closer," I said seriously, she took one step forward. "Closer," I said again, her grin grew as she took one more step. "Just a little closer," I said and she sighed before moving so that she was just about plastered to my chest.

"Much better," I sighed, bringing her into my arms. "I love you Frances Kody Dillon," I said against her neck before kissing her lightly.

"I love you too Rylan," she smiled against my skin before stepping back.

I let her step out of my arms to return to my mother's side. Seconds later they were laughing again and the sound reverberated through me.

I let out my own soft chuckle as I made my way to the bathroom thinking about how nervous Kody had been.

Flashback

"What if she doesn't like me?" Kody asked for the 100th time since we got into the truck.  

"She is going to love you," I assured her again.

"How can you be so sure?" she asked turning so that her back was pressed against her door.

"Because I love you," I answered honestly, stealing a glance at her.

"How is that you always know exactly what to say?" she asked, smile in her voice as she slid toward me.

"It's a gift," I teased, my arm going around her shoulders.

"Are you positive that she is going to like me?" she asked, head dropping to my shoulder.

"More than positive," I said, placing a kiss on her forehead.

"And your brother?" she asked, head tipping back to look up at me.

"Oh he'll love you too," I answered quickly, she raised an eyebrow at me.

"And what is with the tone?"

"He's probably going to try and steal you from me," I answered, she scoffed.

"Why would your brother do that?" she asked, rolling her eyes up at me.

"You really have no idea how beautiful you are, do you?" I asked grinning when she blushed.

"I'm not that beautiful," she said, sitting up and moving away from me.

"Yes you are Kody," I said, pulling her back to my side.

"Rylan," she said obviously not believing me, "half the time I am covered in grease and mud, my hair is in a haphazard pony tail or covered by an old ball cap and I dress like a boy."