Chapter 5: Fight

When I woke up the next morning, it took me a moment to remember where I was. This was the first night in the One Direction mansion. And I wasn’t really getting used to it yet. I dressed myself quickly and did my hair in a ponytail, before I went downstairs, not really knowing who and what to expect.

‘Good morning, Melanie!’ Louis cheered from the sofa. He had a bigger smile on his face than I had ever seen on him before in real life.

‘Good morning!’ Liam yelled from the kitchen. ‘What do you want for breakfast?’ Why was everyone so nice and happy? What did you miss?

‘Uhm, I don’t know. What are you making?’ I peeked my head into the kitchen and held in a laugh seeing Liam standing there like a real chef.

‘I’m making eggs. Do you want some?’ He asked with a smile and I nodded.

‘I’d love to, thank you.’ I smiled back. I kind of liked Liam. He really was trying to make me feel welcome here. And I loved that about him. When I entered the living room again, I saw Niall signing me to come sit next to him. He was sitting on the couch with his guitar, while Louis was writing stuff down. 

‘What are you guys doing?’ I asked, when I placed myself next to Niall. Niall was the person I felt most comfortable with, without a doubt. Maybe it was because he was like the first person I really talked to. I didn’t really know. There was something about him that made my worries seem less important. He felt like a best friend kind of guy, I thought. And maybe he was, unspoken, my best friend here in the house.

‘We’re writing songs.’ Louis said when he stack his pencil behind his ear. ‘Niall plays the music, I make the lyrics, mostly with Liam. But he’s taking care of the food now. And that’s important too!’ He smiled at me. I wondered it was because of what Liam said yesterday in the car that Louis was this happy. He had always been friendly to me but now he was just so excited and happy and I couldn’t think about another reason than his moment with Harry last night.

‘How do you write?’ I asked, actually really interested in the process of it.

Now Niall was the first one to say something. ‘I’m playing on my guitar, all sorts of melodies. And when we hear something nice, Louis tries to find good lyrics on it.’

‘It’s not as easy as Niall makes it sound, you know.’ Louis added. ‘We do need help from professionals. But we’re getting better at it. And we try to really make the songs ourselves.’ And I had to admit that I was surprised, because I didn’t know they worked that hard on it.

‘So you and Liam write, Niall plays the guitar. What do Zayn and Harry do?’ I questioned him, not adding that I was most interested about Harry’s part in all of this.

‘Zayn helps with music too. It’s great to have him because he can reach really high notes, perfectly. He’s like our test singer. If he can do it, we know we can go further with the song.’ Louis said. He stopped there for a second. Maybe he doubted on what to say about Harry’s part in this.

We all looked up when Liam spoke for him. ‘Harry doesn’t really do much lately. Or no… He does do something. He is the one who keeps us noticed in the world, in the media. And if it was in a good way, it would be nice. But now it’s just bad publicity.’ He sighed, giving each of us a plate with scrambled eggs. Niall laid his guitar down for a second to hand it from him.

‘What did he do before?’ I asked again. I really wanted to know more about who Harry was and what he did. Because somehow I wanted that person to come back. And it was probably really silly to think I could do that. But I could swear I saw a glimpse of that Harry when he talked to those little girls in the park.