Chapter 14: Endings

Melanie POV

The week in LA with Harry flew by. We talked and laughed and tried to forget about the reason we actually were there. And it worked, perfectly. I saw Harry’s frustrations fade away. We tried to find ways to be actually seen in public but still avoid the madness. It didn’t always work, but still… It made it more exciting in a way.

The best moments were by far late at night, when we were in our room. Those moments made me believe that, maybe… there was a tiny chance Harry liked me the way I liked him. And it was just because I caught him staring sometimes, or because of the way he looked at me, or because of the way we just lay next to each other, every single night, not touching… but longing for each other’s touch. But when he touched me… God… When he did… It was the most electric feeling I had ever felt. It was like my whole body reacted to his little touch and everything else disappeared, leaving only him.

But unfortunately, time flew by. And soon enough the boys started with their tour. We flew back to London, where their first show would be. They would start with the UK tour, followed by the European tour and ending with the American tour. And what was my job in all this? I had to join them at least a week every month. Or so I was told in the beginning of the deal. And before all this started, I thought one week a month was so, freakishly much. But now… I practically couldn’t bear the thought of leaving them… Or leaving him. But then again, it would be nice seeing my family back… because I missed them. I missed my mom, my dad and especially my sister. So it would be good to see her again. But somehow it gave me a stinging pain in my chest, thinking about leaving him. Even now, when we were both sitting on the plane what was bringing us back to London, three weeks without him seemed like a long time.

‘What are you thinking about?’ Harry interrupted my thoughts. I looked up at him. He sat beside me and I thought he was listening to the music on his phone, but his eyes met mine and he seemed curious about what was on my mind.

‘Nothing important…’ I answered him. Although that was a lie. Because he was really important. But I didn’t want him to know it.

‘Oh… Okay then.’ His eyes drifted back to his phone and I felt somewhat disappointed.

‘What are you thinking about?’ I asked back, what made him look at me again. I liked that.

‘I’m not thinking about anything!’ He said, quite convincing but I didn’t believe it either way.

‘That’s not possible. You always think about something!’

I kind of jumped at the sudden change in his eyes. Like I really needed to quit it now. ‘Well, I’m not, so please… STOP asking. Thank you.’ He finalized our conversation brutally. And I bit my lip at his sudden outburst, moved my eyes to the little window next to me again and stared at the earth below. Why did he even react this way? There was no need for that at all. I heard Harry sigh, before he laid his hand on my knee and squeezed it softly. ‘I’m sorry.’ He muttered, suddenly his mood completely changed again, what made this all even weirder. ‘What do you think about me telling you what I was thinking and you telling me what you were thinking. Is that a deal?’ He proposed. And I could live with that, although there was no way I was going to say the things I really thought. I turned myself back at him and nodded softly, a smile coming from my lips. ‘You start.’ He said.

Shit… Okay. Think. What to tell?

‘It’s going to change now… Isn’t it?’ I spoke, and immediately his eyes were focused on mine. He looked shocked for a moment. And I didn’t get why he gave me that look. ‘Like… I’m going to see you less. We’re going to leave the mansion and things. It’s going to be different. It’s going to be weird not hearing from you, while I’m away.’ And there was still this unreadable emotion on his face. He just stared at me with wide eyes. ‘I don’t know… I’m starting to get used to all this, and now it will be over.’ I finished. And it took him so long to respond.