Chapter 3: Meeting his life

I stood right in front of Harry’s bedroom door and I couldn’t help but feel so nervous. I figured thinking about it too much was not good, so I pushed my fears back and knocked on the door.

‘Harry?’ I softly called his name when he didn’t open the door. ‘Please… Can I come in?’ But he didn’t say or do anything. I sighed, not really knowing what to do next. I didn’t really think this trough, that was obvious. ‘Harry, I’m going to sit here next to your door. I don’t care how long it takes before you come out. Just please don’t go through the window.’ It surprised me that he responded immediately, not letting one second come in between.

‘Like you go through back doors, huh?’ I heard him snap while he opened the door for me to come in myself. I jumped up, fairly happy with myself. I’m starting to get good at this: handling a Harry Styles. His room was much cleaner than I expected it to be. I didn’t think Harry was a neat person. But I figured I didn’t know lots of things when it came to him.

‘Why are you here?’ He said, placing himself on his bed, in front of his laptop. Not looking at me.

‘I came to tell you that I’m not going.’

He raised his eyebrow but didn’t look up. ‘I told you to go. I told you to leave. So leave.’

‘No, I’m not leaving.’ I stated, scanning his face.

‘Why?’ Still not looking up from his stupid laptop.

‘Because you need me.’ And finally that made him look up. But it was hard to read his face. It was hard to figure out what he was thinking.

‘Please, Mel. Don’t think I need you. I’m older than you. I can take care of myself.’ He laughed it off.

‘You know, Haz. I think that’s exactly why you need me.’ I smiled at him.

His laugh disappeared and made room for a dark glare. ‘You just have to be my fake girlfriend. Not my therapist. I hope you know that. That’s not why they pay you.’

I nodded, carefully. I really didn’t want to make him angry again. ‘Can I ask you something, Haz?’

‘Stop calling me Haz.’ He groaned but I ignored it. I quite liked that name.

‘Why do they want me to be your girlfriend? What is the exact reason?’ It took a while for him to answer. I could see it was not an easy subject to talk about. And I almost didn’t expect an answer anymore. But when he shot his laptop and looked me straight in the eyes, I almost wasn’t able to hold my curiosity anymore.

‘I’ve changed. I grew up. I’m not little Harry from the start anymore. I started this when I was sixteen. I’m twenty now.’ He said, not leaving my eyes once, like he wanted to see every bit of reaction that would be readable from my face. ‘And I started partying. I started going out with girls. I started hanging out with other celebrities. And I would lie if I told you I didn’t like it. The boys don’t get it. They are really close with their families and stuff. I’m a little bit more independent then they are, I guess.’

‘Can you let me see it?’ I said, not really understanding what I was doing.

‘Can I let you see what?’ He repeated, looking confused.

‘Your life. The partying, the girls, everything.’ I explained. And I noticed his surprised look, like he didn’t expect me to ask him that. Well. I didn’t really expect it myself either.

‘Now?’ He was completely taken off guard. He looked so lost, that it almost made me laugh out loud.

‘Now.’ I stated.