Chapter 6

Images from the night they first met plagued his mind as he tossed and turned in his sleep. Finally getting up he walked to the kitchen for a drink.

"Why..I don't understand why she's  on my mind. We're friends, that's it, that's all it can be. She certainly isn't  attracted to me, I'm not the guy with the muscles and the harley. Damn, I'm at least 10 years older to boot... Wait..what am I doing..why am I even thinking this..better yet, why am I having this conversation with myself" Tim stated aloud as he grabbed the bottle of whiskey and a shot glass from the cupboard. He took the items outside and began walking towards the oak tree in the bright moon light.

Chance thought he saw movement from his window. At times he would have trouble sleeping and stood at the window gazing up at the sky, watching the heavens above. He looked at the clock, it was 2 am. The moon was bright enough he could clearly see it was Tim walking through the field. Something told him to follow him.

****
Jenika and Drew had met for dinner then checked out several establishments along music row that provided live music. As they walked they shared a few things about themselves, finding they had similar interests other than their common bond, Chance.

"Seriously girl, I would never have taken you to be the 'biker chic' type of woman" Drew laughed.

Jenika chuckled, "yeah, can you see me on the back of a harley in a leather halter, skin tight leather pants with stilletos. Tim would have a field day with that" she told him.

"Yes, I could very much see you like that" Drew replied, turning to face her, gliding the back of his hand along her face. He could see Jenika blush in the full moonlight. He lifted her chin gently, brushing her lips with his. She suddenly felt a pang of guilt, and stepped back a bit.

"I'm sorry, you look so beautiful in the moonlight, I just couldn't resist" he told her.

Jenika told him it was fine, just unexpected. She was more concerned of why she felt guilty at his touch. She wasn't involved with anyone, it was just a kiss, that's all.

"Jenika, so would you like to take a ride tomorrow? " Drew asked, bringing her out of her thoughts, not realizing he had been talking about spending time with her the next day riding around the area.

"Yeah, sure that would be great" she replied enthusiastically.

"Wonderful, I'll pick you up at eleven. At your place?" he asked.

"Ok" she answered, searching her bag for a pen and paper to write down her address. They exchanged phone numbers just in case something came up and caused a change in plans.

Having arrived back at the restaurant, Drew walked her to her car "Are you good to drive, we have had a bit to drink" he asked, opening the driver side door.

"Yes, my place is nearby, it will only take me a few minutes " she assured him.

"Alright then, I will see you tomorrow" he smiled, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

A few minutes later as she stepped inside her front door she once again felt the pang of guilt. Leaning against the door she thought for a moment trying to make sense of it all then just shook it off as being a bit tipsy and headed to bed.

****
Sitting against the tall oak, Tim threw back another shot as he heard rustling nearby. Looking to his left he saw a shadow "well, you're too dang tall to be a coyote and too thin to be a bear" he remarked as Chance approached.

"Thanks, I think....Can't sleep?" he asked Tim.

"Something like that. What about you" he replied, pouring another.

"Same" he replied sitting down next to him. "Is the whiskey helping" he asked.

"After a few more it might" Tim replied.

"So what's on your mind, buddy. Something's eatin at ya. You usually turn to this when you're trying to kill the pain" Chance stated.

Tim shook his head, hiding the truth he said "going over everything Adam said at the meeting, upcoming schedule looks brutal. My mind just wouldn't shut down, that's all".

"You know, we've been through quite a bit together the last couple of years, really got to know each other, to trust each with our life. Just know I'm here for you, anytime, any place. You can lean on me instead of that bottle" Chance told him.

Tim took a deep breath and another shot of whiskey. "It's all good brother,  just needed to wind down. Guess I should head back to bed, Mother Hen will be barking orders bright and early" he replied, now standing against the tree.

Chance pulled himself up, steadying himself with his cane. "Yeah, you're right. Between her and the drill sergeant of physical therapy, I'll need a drink before noon" he chuckled.

Tim started to walk away laughing, staggering a bit. "Here, hang on to me so ya don't fall" Chance stated moving to Tim's side, sliding his arm around his waist.

"I'm good, don't worry about me" Tim replied.

Chance knew better. Two years of living with someone in a cramped tour bus gave you more insight to each others lives, their hopes, their dreams, their disappointments. He'd been there, knowing all to well what it was like to lose the one person that seemed to make it all worthwhile. But Tim's was a deeper loss, Caroline had shown him that.