Chapter 19

The melancholy sound of the violin on which she learned resonated through the hallways as Jenika sat in her childhood room. She took solace in playing, usually bringing her to happier moments in her life, but this time was different, filled with confusion and fear.

A knock and opening of her door ceased her playing as her mother stepped inside.

"What has you so sad my love" she asked, slipping a lock of Jenika's hair to the side as she sat upon the bed with her.

Jenika looked into her mother's eyes, thankful she still had her in her life. It had been hard for her to leave, to move so far away to pursue her dreams. Her parents had always been supportive of her, her sister and brother.

Jenika placed the violin aside, then lay her head across her mothers lap. Her mom gently caressed her hair, "Mom, how did you know Dad was the 'the one'" she asked quietly.

Her mother smiled as she reminisced of the early days, when their love was fresh and new. "We began as close friends, confidants. I felt he was someone I couldn't imagine not having in my life. There was something about the look in his eyes. It was as if I could hear his silent thoughts, feel his pain. He wasn't perfect but sincere, honest, committed. There's this feeling you get deep in your soul, that tells you this is the right one".

Jenika sat up, "you still feel the same?" she asked.

"Without a doubt" she smiled, placing her hand alongside her daughter's  face. "Follow your heart Jenika, your answer lies within" she smiled.

****
Tim and Chance arrived in Raleigh at 11 am, quickly making their way to the hotel a few blocks away from the hospital. Once settled they head out for a bite to eat then found a small park Chance had been to a few times during his recovery. Lassiter Mill, a small park on the site of an old mill, a peaceful park with ponds and waterfalls. Chance had brought his camera along, finding his interest had increased even more since his time "on the other side", wanting to share how he saw his renewed life with others.

Tim walked along, the sound of the waterfalls, the birds brought about a peaceful feeling, one he hadn't experienced in a while. He decided to sit under the tall oak across the waterfall while Chance photographed the area.

Chance walked a bit finding a blue heron fishing in a pond. He positioned himself out of sight as he snapped a few photos, catching the perfect shot as the heron piereced a small fish with its beak. Smiling he turned to see Tim leaning against the tree, his eyes closed.

Walking slowly he watched as Caroline sat down beside him. A smile graced Tim's face, one of genuine bliss. He knew if he spoke he would awaken Tim from his memory, instead he merely thought about what he wanted to say knowing Caroline would hear him.

'You think that's a good idea? How is he to let go if you are still so close.'

Caroline looked at him, 'it's all part of the process. I will never truly be gone, you know that from your Dad. He needs reminders to ease the present pain, to bring him to acceptance, just as you did'

Chance nodded recalling his final acceptance.