Chapter 31

Caroline tapped Chance on the shoulder, waking him from a deep sleep. "Adam, I wanted to tell you goodbye" she whispered as he became more awake.

Chance smiled, "he surrendered?"

Caroline smiled slightly "Yes, I am now free to cross over and he is finally free to live his life as he promised"

Chance sat up, scooting to lean against the headboard "are you sad he let go?" he asked.

Caroline sat on the bed next to him, "maybe..just a little" she replied softly.

"He will never forget you, you know that" he told her.

"Perhaps not right away...but as they begin to make their own new memories, those he has of me will gradually slip away" she replied.

"Now what happens, will I ever see you again" he asked.

"I will join the others and be given my new assignment" she replied.

"Will you see my Dad?" he asked her.

Caroline looked at him, touched the back of his hand and replied,  "at some point, yes"

Chance nodded, "let him know I'm doing ok"

"He knows, Adam..he knows. He's still able to see you and your family. He is very proud of you and Heather. And you were right, he already met Callie before you all did" she assured him.

Chance wiped a stray tear from his cheek, "I miss him" he whispered.

"You can still talk to him. He may not physically be here, but he will always be here" she told him, placing her hand over his heart.

Chance immediately felt a feeling of serenity, calmness like no other feeling he'd ever had. He looked at her as she smiled "you my friend are a special person. Carry this sense with you as you continue your life's work. Harbor no ill feelings, love will come to you, hesitate not to fulfill your destiny" she told him.

"I'm going to miss you, Caroline. Thank you for everything you've done for me, I will never forget it" he told her.

"I have one thing to ask before I leave" she told him.

"Yes, anything" he answered.

"Please, take care of Tim" she said as she stood.

"I will, always" he replied as she faded into the night.

****
Tim and Jenika had talked for several hours before he finally had head home for the night. He found it difficult not to take things a bit further physically after how they revealed their true feelings. But, being the gentleman he was raised to be, he was adament he would start this relationship properly and that meant not taking advantage of vulnerable situations.

As he drifted off to sleep he felt an even bigger sense of relief. He no longer felt the pang of guilt each time he thought of Jenika and actually began to see that, in fact, there was a happier life waiting for him.

As he lay sleeping, Caroline appeared in the window. Watching him as she had done so many times before, the moonlight cascaded along his bare chest. She wiped a tear from her eye "I will love you forever my dearest Timothy. Goodbye.." she whispered blowing a soft kiss that danced across his face. Tim smiled without waking as she finally crossed over.