Chapter 16

Caroline sat on the wing, looking through the window at Jenika as she slept. 'If this memory doesn't motivate her to talk with Tim I don't know what will' she told herself.

Jenika woke after the third attempt by the stewardess to advise her they had landed. She felt uneasy, immediately looking out the window, then shrugged off the feeling she was being watched.

Grabbing her briefcase she absent mindedly headed to the cafe for lunch, the same cafe where she and Tim waited for her connecting flight. Sitting down she gave the waitress her order then looked around, everything was exactly the same as it had been that day.

"What am I doing here. I was going to just stay in the airport lounge till my next flight" she thought to herself as the waitress returned with her food.

"Traveling alone this time?" the waitress asked.

"Excuse me?" Jenika asked, confused.

"The last time you were here you were in the company of a very handsome young man, southern gentleman I believe. Very polite, quite a deep voiced accent" she replied, setting the plate on the table.

Jenika stared at her in disbelief. How could she possibly remember two years ago, two strangers having a quick meal together.

Jenika blinked and the woman was gone. She looked around not seeing her anywhere. "This is just too freaking weird. I guess I really need to eat" she thought to herself grabbing half of her sandwich.

Smiling, Caroline hung up the uniform and apron in the closet before transforming back to her celestial form. "There, the seed has been planted. The rest is up to Chance" she whispered into the wind.

****
Chance looked up from the book he was reading as Tim stepped upon the porch.

"How did it go" he asked, placing the book aside.

"It didn't" Tim answered, sliding his hand through his hair as he leaned against railing.

Chance looked discouraged "what happened, what did you do".

"What do you mean what did I do" he retorted.

"Ok, sorry..tell me what happened.  Did she at least listen to you" he asked.

"No" he replied sitting down "she wasn't even home. At first I thought she was ignoring me by not answering the door. But I looked into the garage before leaving and her car was gone. She's probably working on everything Adam asked her to take care of".

"So, you going back later?" Chance asked.

"I don't know..I guess.." Tim answered, leaning back closing his eyes. "I know I need to apologize, I'm just not sure exactly how to do it without her thinking I'm interested in her".

"But you are" Chance told him.

"I don't know if I am...I mean I can't be..we're just friends....that's all we can be...I'm still in love with Caroline, Chance...she's....she was my life" Tim replied quietly.

"What if.." he began as Tim cut him off.

"No what if's...just let it go, please" he said as he stood and walked back to his place.

****
Adam and Rob were walking out of the airport exit just as Jenika was returning. Adam seeing her first, nudged Rob in the side "isn't that Jenika" he asked.

Turning to see her walking towards the entrance gate, Rob asked "What is she doing here?"

"Let's find out" Adam said walking towards the check in area where she was getting her ticket. Tapping her lightly on the shoulder, she turned, coming face to face with him. Trying not to panic she took a deep breath "oh, hi guys" she greeted, semi controlled.

"We missed you this morning when we said goodbye to Tim and Chance" he stated.

"Yeah...Umm..sorry about that" she said, trying now not to really look at him.

Rob leaned in towards her " you know  running away is not the answer".

"I'm not running away from anything. I'm just heading home to see family for a few days that's all. I'm even bringing work with me" she said, lifting her briefcase to prove it.

Saved by the announcement over the intercom that it was time to board her flight, she gave them each a quick hug  before walking briskly away.

"Yup, she's trying to run away" Rob commented.

"Hopefully her family can help her sort things out, before it's too late" Adam stated as they bid goodbye to each other to head home.