TWO

I walk towards the table he's reserved for tonight. It's a new restaurant that's just opened up, prices only the insane and rich can afford. Thankfully, I have my legs to pay for me.

"Thaddeus, how good it is to see you. I've missed our dinners."

He stands, kisses my hand, before sliding me towards the table in the chair.

"Amelia, darling, you made an impression on me the moment we met and you told me who you were. Women like you are hard to find."

Naive man, thinks I'm Amelia Fendi, a French heiress with strong views against 'mutants'.

"Well, we wouldn't be so special if there were more of us now, would we?"

"Can I get you two anything to drink?" asks the waiter.

"I'll have some whiskey. Amelia?"

"I'll take a martini any day." He leaves promptly. "So how have you been? I haven't seen you the entire month of August."

"I had some things to attend to in Wakanda."

"You've been talking with King T'Challa and haven't introduced me? You know how much his technology could help us."

"Yes well, he's not so keen on giving anything or anyone up. Not looking to make any deals either."

"That's a shame." I toss my blonde tresses over one shoulder, my leg under the table rubbing against his. "Maybe Stark has something of value."

"We can't get to Stark, rich bastard." He shifts slightly when my leg gets to his thigh.

"I know a woman, goes by Violet Rivers. She can charm her way into anything. You get her an audience, she'll get you what you need." I take a sip of the martini the waiter delivered a few seconds ago.

"I can do my best. What's her line of work?"

"Assistant, technological genius - whatever you need her to be. As long as she's in his old lab in Stark Tower, she'll be able to get anything you might need." I slip off one heel, foot rubbing very close to his tower of Pisa.

"All we need is a microchip. Think she can do that?" He shifts once more, and I think he's thankful for the long tablecloth.

"She can do anything for $1,500. It's a risky business."

"Call her tomorrow and tell her she's hired."

"Tomorrow?" I know exactly where this is going.

"I've got a room reserved at the Four Seasons. We can discuss further business there." I get up from the table, Ross trailing behind me as I exit.

I get into the black SUV waiting for me with him. I tell my driver where to go before the separating screen goes up. As soon as it can't go any further, his hands are on me.

His lips need chapstick, but I don't say anything - I really need him to trust me. One hand trails up my thigh, playing with the edge of my underwear. I wrap my hands around his neck, shifting so I'm straddling his lap.

Just as he starts to roll up my dress, the car stops abruptly.

"Let's continue this upstairs," I say, a little breathless.

*

I apply some red lipstick to finish my look. After Ross got tired out last night, I went home immediately to shower and get some sleep before today.

I'm sporting a more casual look today, just black jeans, a crimson top and leather jacket. I grab my bag and Louboutin's, nearly shitting myself when I catch sight of myself in the mirror.

Instead of my highlighted brunette hair, it's coloured navy and I look like the same girl six years ago.

-

I look at the house behind me, the memories trapped there. My uncle's driving the car, taking me far away. I'm never going to see my sisters again, nor my mother. It's all because I'm different, because I can be someone else.

They don't love me, not enough. Dealing with an immortal child is one thing, but one that can change into anything? They can't hide something like that, not for long.

I'm thankful for the fact that I've got a scholarship, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I'll have to make my own way in this world and I don't know if I can.

-

I shake off the feelings, changing back my hair and eyes to the ones you see on Vanity Fair. I slide my feet gracefully into the heels and make my way out of the penthouse.

When the lift gets to the garage floor, Zach's already waiting.

"Miss Reneau, which car are you taking today? I'll have Anderson roll around as soon as-"

"No need, Zach. I want to take the Techrules Ren out for a spin today. Need to impress the man who's building I'm taking, after all."

"But the paparazzi will see you coming from miles away

"But the paparazzi will see you coming from miles away. You're the only current owner in the US."

"I haven't been on the cover of a magazine for a while, and I look far too good today. Be a dear and give them an anonymous tip." I get inside, the door closing after I'm strapped in. I give him a little wave before speeding off.

It's an absolute beauty on the roads, the first sports car with a turbine engine. I don't remember how much horsepower it has, because I don't need to. As long as it's fast and unique, I want it.

I slow down in front of Stark Tower, getting there faster than I expected. I park right outside, paparazzi already waiting.

I slip on the sunglasses I keep in every car before exiting. I walk past the cameras and flashing lights, heading straight into the lobby.

Happy escorts me to the lift and presses the button for the correct floor, while I give him my keys and ask him to park the car somewhere safer.

I step out of the metal box, doors sliding shut behind me.

"I've gotta hand it to you, you know how to make an entrance."

"You're welcome to take it for a spin as long as I'm in the car with you. Now, let's get that contract signed."

"Actually, I have to tell you we kinda need to go somewhere first. See, the papers aren't here."

"And where would they be, exactly?"

"You have to meet the family before you get married, don't you?"

"Stop using metaphors in your speech; it's annoying."

"You, Anathema Reneau, are meeting my band of misfits today."