EIGHTEEN

Walking onto the party floor, you wouldn't recognise it as the place they've built a home in. It's tidy for once, the lights are dimmed, and everyone's scattered around, talking slightly.

"Don't worry, they don't bite. You'll fit right in." There's a feminine hand on my shoulder and I turn my head.

"Maria Hill? I didn't think I'd see you here. In fact, I haven't seen you since-"

"Since S.H.I.E.L.D. fell. I know, I've been busy. How's Ava doing?"

"She started school this year. I have pictures if you want them."

"No, it's alright. As long as she's happy with her foster family, I'm happy."

"If it wasn't for your job, you know she'd be yours."

"I know, I know. She deserves a family." I can feel her shift.

"So what are you doing here?"

"Sam called me, actually. Told me I'd fit right in," she smiles.

"He tell you anything else?" I can sense his eyes wandering over to us.

"Not yet. But I'll get a couple drinks in him and then we'll see." She goes over to him, while I head for the open bar.

"Didn't think I'd see you back there tonight." He looks gorgeous in an all black suit that's tighter than it should be, and he knows it.

"My date is late. I might as well pass the time making others happy."

There's a drink in front of me, the same one I kept drinking on the beach. I take a long sip, suddenly parched.

"Maybe she had good cause. Fast cars aren't everything in traffic."

"More plausible is the fact that she spent a long time trying to look perfect." He leans over the bar top. "She doesn't need to."

"But it's more fun to torture someone with your looks when you look your best. Especially when you're not planning to do anything with them tonight."

"That sounds malicious."

"I'll take the compliment. My boyfriend would be proud."

"I don't doubt he would."

"You've been an absolute gentleman, but you'll have to excuse me. I have company to mingle with." I give his still leaning figure a kiss on the cheek, before walking away with my drink in hand.

I sit down on a sofa next to Steve, Bucky and Brunnhilde across from us.

"I didn't think super soldiers could get drunk."

"Asgardian liquor packs a punch. Soon they'll be as dizzy as any normal human being," smirks Brunnhilde.

"Well, now that is something to look forward to."

"Unlike Steve here, I can handle my alcohol."

"Jerk."

"Fucking punk."

"Steve, he said a bad language word," comes Maria's voice, Sam close behind. The both of them are all smiles.

"It's been three years, guys. You have got to let that go."

"Let what go?" I ask, oblivious to what's happening.

Maria sits down on the armchair to my left, Sam perching on the arm. He's grinning like crazy, barely sitting straight.

"No one's told you yet? Oh, man, are you in for a treat."

He starts the story, everyone slowly gathering around. Every now and then, Tony or Nat or Thor interrupt, Steve the only one staying silent.

"So what you're saying is: I'm not allowed to swear in front of Steve."

"Oh, you can swear," starts Natasha," but just expect a lot of dirty looks."

"He is extremely close to putting out a swear jar," says Tony.

"That's... not a bad idea," says Steve.

Groans all around.

"I wouldn't do that, Steve. Everyone will avoid you like the plague," comes Loki's voice from next to me. He must've sat on the arm of the sofa when I wasn't paying attention.

"Knowing Steve, it'll just randomly appear," mutters Bucky.

"I just had a fantastic idea," exclaims Tony. "Let's play Never Have I Ever."

"You are a child. But I'll indulge you," I say, raising my half-empty glass. It's not long before more hands follow.

"Actually, I'm gonna head in for an early night. You guys have fun, though," says Bruce.

"Me and Vis are going to head out too. Night guys."

"Count me and Rhodey out," says Bucky after sharing a look with the guy.

The five of them leave quietly, leaving nine of us spread out on the two sofas and two armchairs.

"Loki, if you could do the honours." Loki lifts his hand and when the green light disappears to reveal a table filled with shots of vodka.

"I'll start," says Sam. "Never have I ever... given or received a lap dance."

There are three hands reaching for glasses, one of them mine.

"Ana, Natasha — you've been holding out on me."

"Aren't you and Pepper married?"

"And yet I never had a bachelor party."

"You'll live," says Natasha, before all of us clink our glasses and down them. "I'll go. Never have I ever... quietened someone down during a movie."

It's quiet but one lone hand reaches for a shot and finishes it in one go.

"Steven Grant Rogers, who would've thought. As the only person to drink, you have to tell us. Those are the rules," I grin.

"I don't know, guys."

"Oh, come on. As your teammates, we deserve to know," pushes Brunnhilde.

"I agree," says Thor, eager to hear the story.

"It's nothing." He takes a breath. "It was before I went off for training, during the war. They played those clips of men fighting and I shushed someone talking over it. Ended up fighting someone guy two times my size in a back alley before Bucky found me and stepped in to stop me from bleeding out."

"You fought a guy twice your size over talking in a movie theatre? That is the best story I have ever heard," says Sam.

"Too bad they didn't have phones back then. I would've like to see that," smirks Natasha.

"Guys, come on, the game?" reminds Tony.

"Like you need a game to finish all that alcohol," I say.

"Well, I'd do better than you."

"Is that a challenge?"

"Love-"

"With me? It's always a challenge."

"Well, then. What's the price?"

"Price? Aren't you guys billionaires?" asks Maria.

I smirk, and as does he.

"I don't think they mean that kind of price," whispers Sam.

"Winner takes a car out of the other's collection."

"You've got yourself a deal, Tony."

"Let the games begin."