THIRTEEN

The moment I step through the door to the home I've made, I drop to the floor utterly drained. I close my eyes and breathe deeply to regain some sense of control.

"Everything alright, love?" I look at the man sitting next to me.

"I don't think I've ever been so exhausted. I had to threaten them with lawyers twice to get them to do what they were supposed to. We're going to have to write up a new bloody contract or hire a different firm and I don't think I can take that headache."

"It'll be fine. You'll figure it out," he says, wrapping his arms around my small frame.

"Poor Violet. I had no idea what I was lumbering her with when I asked her to remodel. I should've let her focus on her studies." I sidle more into his embrace.

"You've done a fantastic job of raising her into the woman she is today. You are a wonderful mother figure, love."

"You keep complimenting me and I might just think you're up to something."

"I'm always up to something," he says, nuzzling into my neck.

"Not tonight, sweetheart. Wednesday is an important day for me -- I've got a meeting with Ross at his office."

"He's a foul man. You could just say the word and I would-"

"We're not killing anyone yet, darling. Besides, this is going to be the very last meeting we have. I'm going to cut things off."

"You are?" He looks at me properly now, face laced with curiosity.

"There's no point to keep in touch, not now that I've met all of you. It's not right for me to have those sort of connections."

"How did I get so lucky?" There's enamoration in his voice.

"I think it had something to do with Stark. It's part of his charm."

"Well, I think your charm is far more enticing," he whispers, a kiss making it's way to my cheek.

"Come on, shower, then sleep," I say, standing up from the ground and dragging him with me.

"I thought you said you weren't in the mood."

"I'm not. But who said anything about going all the way?" In one swift move, I'm in his arms, being carried bridal style to the bathroom.

"Shower it is, love," he purrs.

*

I let my fingers dance over the autumn collection dresses in my closet, the array of colours mesmerising to look at.

"Blue or purple?" I ask the figure behind me, massaging my shoulders.

"I think you delightful in green and gold."

"You want me to wear colours I look incredibly sexy in around another man? Really?"

"They're my colours. And I'm the only one allowed to ravish you when you wear them," he whispers.

"Speaking from experience, you ravish me in whatever clothes I'm wearing. Or when I'm wearing none at all."

"You manage to look your best all the time. It's not my fault." I turn around to face him completely.

"And here I was told I was the one who was going to have to keep myself in check."

"Your beauty does make it awful hard," he says, going in for a kiss. I stop him.

"Sorry, darling. I've got to get ready. I'm going to need you to head back to the compound today, seeing as I'll be spending the night at my office."

"Must you?" I leave the closet with a blue dress in hand.

"You, my dear, have made me miss a lot of work. I'm the only one running those companies, so it would help if I was on the scene." I start getting ready, ignoring his pouting and sulking.

"So give the companies to someone else. Come back with me to the compound, we'll borrow a jet and have a wonderful holiday somewhere. Get away from all the noise and fuss."

"Believe me, I wish it was that simple. But, I can't just leave behind my life's work. I'm not that type of a girl," I say, entering the bathroom.

"I'm not asking you to do it for me. When was the last time you did something for you?" I put down the beauty blender on the rim of the sink, and think.

Sure, I'd done things for Violet and Zach, anything that made them happy making me happy. Business decisions have pretty much been the only thing going through my mind lately, my law firms of huge importance.

I'd been thinking about getting a pet, but it would be far too much work, and a child... well that's just not an option with my genetics. Whether the turned out to be mortal or not, it would still ruin their life, being born into this sort of a family. I couldn't do that to someone.

"Okay. In a few days. I'll sort some things out, and then we can go somewhere nice for a little while. Relax and unwind." I continue my makeup.

"Any suggestions? After all, you know Earth better than me."

"I have a few personal estates here and there. I'll send them to Stark via email so you two can look over them back at the compound. He'll have some good recommendations too." I spritz some perfume into the air around me before walking back out.

"I can't wait. It'll be delightful, don't you think?"

"Spending at least a week with you in a warm country, a guaranteed amount of exceptional food and sex? I can't think of anything much better, especially considering we'll have the whole place to ourselves."

I let my underwear-clad body slip into the dress that a moment ago was laid out on the bed, every inch tailor-made to my body type. It sits right and makes me feel comfortable, yet sexy, just what a woman wants.

"Enchanting as always, love."

"Zip me?" I ask, lifting up my hair.

His fingers are cool on my warm skin, a perfect contrast. They fiddle with the zip not longer than half a second before I hear it going up. There's a kiss to my neck and a whisper in my ear once it gets to the end.

"I rather prefer pulling the zip in the other direction." I look at the clock above my wall.

"You know, I'm not known for being early. I've got about twenty minutes to spare." I feel him grin against my skin.

"Then I suppose we'd better hurry."