Dreyma

Mother sold me

Mother sold me.

Sold.

Sadly, I could not speak my mind, for I knew what my mother will get from my soon-to-be husband, the Jarl. I knew of his interest in me, he had told me so himself, and so had so many others before and after him. Mother simply could not refuse his proposal.

Let me have her, and you will never feel hungry again.

She complied, and there I was. Walking through the woods, following a human made path lined with small rocks, and occasional figurines showing our love for the Gods.

As I made my steps, people began to arrive on to my path, with smiles, tears and kisses to my cheeks. They were happy for us. I was happy. Nervous beyond recognition, but happy to start my life with a man who promised me the sun and stars from the sky.

Not long after, I arrived where my Jarl was waiting for me. The rest of the crowd had gathered around us, witnessing the binding of two souls in to one.

Hand in hand, our lives were tied to one another. Handfasting, that is what we called it. A knot tied around our intertwined hands, promises whispered to one another with words of such beauty it made even the cruelest of men weep.

The feast held afterwards was exquisite. Meat, mead and ale spilled on to the floors and the bellies of drunken men. Instruments played such songs that even I had the courage to dance with the guests.

Soon after, everything quieted down, and I turned to gaze upon my husband. My naive eyes held such innocence, when I took his awaiting hand with a nervous shake in my own. "Come, wife. We have duties to perform," Hall said, a smile on his face and an eager pace in his step.

A whimper of fear escaped my lips, but he chose to ignore it. I was innocent, no man had ever touched me before. He would be the first, and last to ever touch me.

The walk from the Long Hall felt like ages before arriving back to his room. Our room. He held my hand the entire journey, every once in a while turning his head as if to make sure I was still with him.

My heart was trying to beat its way out of my chest, and a startled cry escaped my lips when I felt something in my head. Something not normal, something hitting against my mind. It ended quickly though, and the nervousness caused my hands to shake and beads of sweat to roll down my forehead and neck.

Hall opened the door for us, and allowed me to enter first. My eyes immediately transfixed themselves to the decor of our room.

What seemed to be the thickest hay bed I had ever seen, thrown on top of cut up, stacked logs, was taking away most of the space in the room. There was no headboard, but a large shield covered in runes, words of wisdom and scars from Gods know how many battles. Two axes hung on either side of the shield, and a sword was hung above them all.