Chapter 29

Copyright © 2018 Nicole Mckoy

Jasmine P.O.V.

It was seven o clock and I was finally getting ready to head home. My first day filling in for Evan went better than I could have imagined.

Everyone was welcoming and I felt surprisingly comfortable in my new role.

I didn't know if everyone was nice to me because they knew I was Evan's former fiancée or because they were just nice. But whatever the case I was glad my day went well.

As I grabbed my bag and headed to the door I heard a light knock.

"Come in," I said.

The door opened and Landon stood in the doorway.

"Headed home boss," he said with a smile.

"Yup. I can't wait to see my babies," I said.

"You have three kids with Evan right?" Landon asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"I'm sure this was different than mommy duty," Landon said with a light chuckle.

"It was. If I'm being honest this was easier than a day with my kids," I joked.

Landon laughed.

"Well congrats on a first day well done. I actually have this bottle of wine for you to celebrate," Landon said.

"Landon that's sweet of you," I said as I took the bottle.

"My family owns a winery and I just thought I'd give you a bottle to mark this occasion," Landon said.

"Well thanks. I'll have to try it when I'm not breastfeeding," I said.

"Oh that's right. Sorry," Landon apologized.

"Don't apologize it's a sweet gesture and I'm grateful. Thanks Landon. I'll see you tomorrow," I said.

Landon smiled and I walked past him. I said goodbye then headed to the elevator.

I took the elevator down to the parking garage eager to head home.

There wasn't much traffic on my drive home and when I got home I pulled into the garage.

I saw Evan's car parked in the driveway and almost forgot he'd be inside when I walked in.

I got out of the car and grabbed my bag and wine bottle.

I locked the car then headed inside.

When I walked through the door the house seemed silent.

I walked into the living room and it was empty.

I headed into the kitchen to put my bottle of wine away before going to see where everyone was.

I sat my bag and wine on the kitchen counter.

I took off my heels and was startled when I heard someone clear their throat.

I quickly turned around and saw Evan in the doorway.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey... I just gave the kids their baths and they're ready for bed," he said.

"You haven't read to them yet have you?" I asked.

"No. Carson wanted to wait for you," Evan said.

"He does that when the roles are reversed too. He always likes us to be in there to read to him together," I said.