Guide to Tattoos|Misc.

If you've caught me in my rambling before, you know that I have a tattoo. I'm inked with my cycle of love tattoo about an inch under my collarbone. I got this tattoo on June 29th, 2018. It's my very first one and holds a lot of meaning to me. I spent a few months debating on whether I was making the right decision in getting it, but I eventually did. I have absolutely no regrets.

They are a big deal. If you want a tattoo, or had a shit experience with the tattoo(s) you already have, here's my guide to tattoos.

Keep in mind that mine is relatively small (but not tiny) and I can't give advice on larger, colorful tattoos.

DO:
Find a place trustworthy. If they allow minors to get tattooed or pierced without parental consent or forms of ID, don't go there. That's illegal. If their needle guns and work area look filthy, walk away. You can pick up anything from a needle gun and pathogens from a gross work area because your skin will be open when you get tattooed. Read reviews beforehand. If it looks shady, don't do it. If you get a bad vibe, walk out. It's not worth it.

Start easy. I suggest starting off easy and simple. Get something small that you like, a symbol or something like that in standard black ink or a single color, before you move onto bigger, colorful, intricate tattoos. If you jump into a big tattoo and aren't prepared for the pain or possible allergic reactions, you're gonna regret it. Maybe you won't. But I'm telling you, I'm sure colorful tattoos hurt. Get the feel of the need before you do anything. Ask if they'll poke you without ink before you get it done.

Make sure it's what you want. If you're indecisive, take your time. If you say "I'm not sure about this one," don't get it done. Be 100% sure that it's what you want on your body forever. They are permanent. Never settle. Be absolutely sure.

Relax. If this is your first tattoo, especially if you're young, chances are it's something small and simple. My experience was easy. I just laid back, my mom was there watching me to see if I'd break into tears like a pussy, and the artist got everything situated. Before I knew it, all I could feel was like a buzzing sensation on my skin. It stung but nothing more than if you quickly stuck yourself with a thumbtack, just prolonged. I relaxed and just watched the TV and clenched my first if I needed to. He was done in 15 minutes and I was good to go. No tears or anything. Just relax. Stressing will make it hurt.

Follow the aftercare instructions. It's simple. They put ointment and plastic over your fresh tattoo and you can remove it a few hours later. However, you need to buy the ointment (used for burns and open wounds, I got A+D which is the best for tattoos) and apply it every time it dries out, for about two weeks. Yours might be different depending on what type of tattoo you got, where, and the size of it. Do everything your artist tells you, to avoid infection. If you have a fever that persists or an allergic reaction, go to the hospital. Do NOT scratch your fresh tattoo, even if it itches. And it WILL itch. But do not scratch it. Raised skin is also normal for a couple weeks. It eventually goes down.

Show it off. You got a new tattoo and you (hopefully) love it. Show it off to people you know. My favorite part of my tattoo was that I loved it and I let people notice on their own, or I "surprised" them, to see their reactions. Do this once it's healed; people may touch it and their hands are dirty and you don't want that on your open wound. But do show it off.

DON'T:
Feel pressured into getting a tattoo because all your friends are getting one. I don't care if you all planned this night out. If you don't want a tattoo, don't get one. Once you do and you hate it, there's not much you can do about it. Some places will remove it but it's very pricey and you'll most likely still have an impression left from the ink. Don't get one just because Timmy said "Come on, we're ALL doing it, you pussy!" I'd rather be a pussy for a night than regret a tattoo for the rest of my life.

Move. Don't move or squirm while it's being done. If you move and the artist fucks your skin up, that's on you. It may hurt and it may burn, but don't move. I had to lay still on my back and could only clench my fists. Tough.

Back out in the middle of the tattooing. It's okay to take a break for a few minutes if the pain is too much or you've been stuck there for hours, but don't quit in the middle. Large tattoos may take a few sessions to complete, but don't leave it partially done forever because of fear or pain. That's a waste and you're stuck with an unfinished tattoo to boot.

Ignore the artist's instructions. If they say don't touch it, don't touch it. If they say put the ointment on for a whole month, do it. Don't decide "well it's fine now, I can stop doing it and I can let people touch it." No. You want an infection? You want a cracked, scaly tattoo? Then follow instructions.

Get outrageously inked at a low price. If you want a beautiful, colorful, realistic tattoo that covers a large amount of skin (such as your entire arm or back) and get a really low price quote, don't do it. It's too good to be true. You may want a roaring tiger in the jungle but you may get a Crayola child's drawing instead. Walk away or look up reviews to find pictures of their work. My little heart cost $20. If you're paying 30 for a huge tattoo, walk away.

Get people's names tattooed on your body. Obviously you can do what you want, but I advise against getting people's names and faces permanently etched into your skin. Especially if you're only in a relationship with that person. You can break up, get divorced, or whatever. Even your children. They could change their name. They could abandon you. Do you want that reminder? That's why I advise you not to. But whatever floats your boat.

That's all I have. Getting tattooed takes a lot of thinking, but once you're sure, you're good to go. Take the pain (although mine didn't hurt much) as it is, because you'll get something awesome out of it. Infections and complications are rare, but still be on the lookout for awhile after.

Overall, I loved my experience. I'm going for another soon, a little rainbow on my wrist. I'm almost four months into my first tattoo, and I honestly forget it's on me most of the time.  I strain my neck to see mine, and I'm still surprised that the little patch of skin that was bare months ago is now forever marked. And I'm happy with that.

Love yourself and your tattoos. You've earned it.

~Sierra ⚡️

~
Sierra ⚡️