Prologue

*2 years ago*

    “I’m...sorry Hayden, I don’t…...I’m not really ready for this.”

Hayden looked at me in disbelief. “...What?”

I shook my head, looking at the ground.

“I’m just...I mean, just look at me! We’re 16 now, we’re gonna be juniors in high school next year, it’s just...I know that this is ‘the moment’ and we should live it while we got it, but I just…...I feel like….my education, I would completely get distracted from it. I really love you, and I wanna be with you. But a relationship...now…”

I looked at him intensely. “My parents would wonder, why now, when my education’s so important? And I don’t...I don’t know Hayden, I don’t think it would work now.”

His blue eyes were piercing into me, causing guilt to flood to all of me. He no longer looked with me pleadingly, but with shock.

“But we were working out so far! We both have pretty good grades, we’re still finishing work, and still make time for each other! We were almost like a couple now, and it was….it was amazing, yea? Why not continue it? How could you even not consider…” His voice grew heavy.

“I am considering, Hayden!! I really am, and really want to, but we can’t. We just can’t.”

The brunette who was my best friend, who had always looked at me with sweet, carefree eyes, who truly loved me, was lost at words. His lips parted, but nothing came out. An awkward silence came. The park suddenly became quiet, the small noises settling down.

“....I don’t think I can believe…” Hayden whispered. His eyes were a little red. I looked at him.

“What can’t you believe?”

He looked down, almost tearing up. “I thought you really loved me, Andrea.”

My eyes widened. He always calls me Anna, it’s my pet name he stuck to, and he’s never been serious enough to call me by my actual name.

“I-I...I do love you Hayden, I-” He held his hand up. I stopped talking. “No Andrea, I don’t think I’m ready either. I can’t...I can’t talk to you, it’s too hard. Maybe we just shouldn’t….”

“Hayden, no, please…” I was almost tearing up myself, my eyes lining with tears. Don’t cry, just please, hold it in. But I don’t want Hayden to leave, I want Hayden to be mine.

“It’s ok, I understand. Education is important...we…..need space. Sorry, Andrea...I should go.” My lips parted and I gasped a little. He looked at me one last time, and then came closer and whispered in my ear, “But just remember, I will always love you.” He leaned in and gave me a gentle kiss on my cheek. “Ok Anna? Just remember.”

I was speechless. Hayden brushed his hands through his stunning chocolate brown hair, and began to turn around and walk home slowly. His hands were in his pocket, and he was constantly looking down at the cement sidewalk, deep in thought.

A wet tear trickled down my cheek as I looked at him and then down at the ground. What have I done…I know education’s important, but nothing could bond what I have just lost.

“Ok. I’ll remember. I love you too Hayden.” I whispered with breaks of little tears. I want to go home and crumple up into a ball on my bed and cover myself with my sheets and never come back out again. And that is just what I’ll do.

(Hey guys, do you think you could help me with suggestions of what actor could be Hayden? I pictured him kinda cute looking, like a little innocent looking....like Niall Horan with brown hair, haha. Let me know what you think, it would really help!)