Are you sure?

Rukia was sent to the infirmary to heal since her body temperature raised too fast and she had internal damage. Since I forfeited the match and didn't know where that would leave me, I assumed I would just go back to working under Captain Hirako. The onlookers dispersed, murmuring as they did so. The captains stayed behind and so did I, waiting to be scolded or questioned.

"That was quite a show." Captain Shunsui said as he approached me, the other captains following behind, as well as their lieutenants.

"You're full of surprises." Captain Muguruma said.

"It was impressive, but why'd you forfeit?" Captain Kyōraku asked, staring at my regretful self. "Rukia was already near her end."

"I realized there were better ways of handling my situation and besides if I killed her she wouldn't be able to change, but thanks for approving the trial even though I didn't finish her off." I rubbed the back of my head feeling a bit awkward.

"Even though you forfeited the trial, I believe it will be great to have you be the Captain of the thirteenth division." Captain Kyōraku said. My eyes widened as I took in his words, it didn't make any sense. "Shinji told me all about what happened with Rukia and the harassment. Then Mayuri confirmed it with his security footage." He explained. "It's just as you said, no one should have to experience what you went through, especially from a captain." Nanao handed me a folded captains coat with a snowdrop symbol printed on the back.

"Are you sure?" I was hesitant to accept the promotion. "Yes, I fill out paperwork, but I don't know about the other things that go into it." I admitted.

"I will teach you about the different forms and whatnot." Captain Hirako assured me. "You deserve this."

~

After accepting the position, Shinji did as he promised, helping me learn how to manage my division and even taught me that I could work on changing the purpose of the division if I felt it would improve it. I enjoyed my role and managed to make it a division known for entertainment and food shops, increasing the income made. I was also actively working on fixing up poor communities within the Rukongai district because of the stories Renji told me when we were dating and so far things were going smoothly.

As for Rukia, I don't know how she's doing but a few days after she healed at the infirmary, the noble family had her admit the crimes she did while she was captain to the entire seireitei with the hell butterflies. I didn't understand why, but I remembered that by her doing those things she was tarnishing the name of the Kuchiki family, so this humiliation was their form of punishment. Byakuya and I did become closer after he apologized for his sister's actions, even though he didn't need to. He even gifted me a maroon kimono that was designed with snowdrops going across. I didn't wear it over my uniform like Shunsui but I did on special occasions.

Renji and I weren't together anymore because I can't see myself dating someone who wouldn't stand by my side and trust the words of others without trying to see things from my perspective. However, we were friends and I didn't hold the past over his head.

So far things were going great and I was prepared for whatever the future may hold.