Chapter 16: One Night

I swallowed hard at his vacant expression, wrapping my arms around my waist tightly. His eyes drew across my exposed and bruised neck, a muscle jumping in his cheek before he turned his head.

“I can’t do this,” he whispered, squeezing his eyes shut.

I was rooted to the ground, my breathing starting to get heavy as my gut twisted.

“Wyatt,” I hoarsely, taking a step towards him.

He flinched, his eyes flashing open as he took a step back, “Don’t come near me, Lila. Please."

I started to protest but he shook his head, “It’s not safe,” his eyes were wild, “I don’t…I don’t know what he can do anymore.”

“So it’s true then?” I breathed, taking in his haggard expression and how he fidgeted and shifted his weight from foot to foot. “He’s in you now?”

“He isn’t in me, Lila,” Wyatt said, his face creasing, “He’s a part of me."

I looked away, squeezing my eyes shut and working my jaw as I tried to keep the tears at bay, “So what now?”

“It has to end.”

“What has to end?” I asked, turning to look at him as I opened my eyes. I knew what he meant. I just wanted to hear him say it, hoping he would prove me wrong.

“This,” he said softly, “Us.”

I shook my heard furiously and before I could say anything Wyatt cut in.

“I almost killed you last night! I’m not going to take that chance again,” he said angrily.

“That wasn’t you Wyatt, that was Caleb."

“He’s a part of me now, Lila. He can hurt you through me and I can’t let him do that,” he said, his silver eyes flashing dangerously, “I have to leave,” he said abruptly.

He turned around, his fingers fumbling with the latch on my window while my brain scrambled for something, anything to get him to stay. I couldn’t lose him, not like this.

“One night!” I cried suddenly.

He froze, his whole body tensing as his fingers paused, clutching my window latch. “What?” he asked, his breathing ragged. He didn’t turn around though.

“One night,” I said softly, watching as he turned around slowly to face me again. “If you’re going to leave than I want one last night with you, just to say goodbye,” I said, gauging his reaction warily, “You don’t ever have to speak to me again after tonight. I just want one last night.”

I saw him working his jaw as he thought, his eyes tightening visibly.

“Please,” I whispered, feeling tears prick my eyes again.

His eyes darkened to a stormy grey color, looking vacant and empty. Fear shot through me as he stayed like that for a moment. I didn’t know what he was doing, or what was happening, but I held my breath until his eyes suddenly flashed back to silver.

Before I could even blink he was in front of me, arms wrapping around my waist and yanking me towards him. I wrapped my arms around him, holding him as tightly as I could while he did the same. He held me so firmly that it hurt, but I took the pain because if it hurt than it meant he was still here with me. He pushed me backwards, kissing me firmly as he pushed me gently down onto my back on my bed, my head resting on my pillow.

I moved against him, my hands plunging through his hair, holding it so tightly that it must have hurt while the blood roared in my ears and tears burned my eyes.