Chapter 19: Natasha

The next few days were…interesting to say the least. Horrifying and painful were other fairly good descriptors.

Caleb made a few more surprise visits, each one longer than the last, each one setting me on even more edge.

Science was my worst class ever now. I could see Wyatt fighting for control when he sat next to me, but sometimes Caleb won. Before he could do anything Wyatt got control again.

I could see it was hard on Wyatt, he was trying so hard to keep Caleb away from me as long as possible. But it was inevitable that Caleb would start being around more often. Every day he stayed longer before Wyatt could pull him back and take control again.

By the time next Monday came, it was basically the same as the week before. I stayed completely neutral about the entire situation while Wyatt struggled to keep his demon at bay. Every day, as neutral as I seemed, I died a little inside every time I saw Wyatt’s eyes flash to black.

I did as much research as I possibly could, searching all over the internet. I was at my fourth library at the moment and boy was it huge. It was going to take me forever to find what I needed…if it even existed.

I walked up and down the aisles of the library, feeling almost hopeless as I looked at the towering shelves, long rows and the second and third floors that were very much the same only they had no center. They ran along the edges of the walls with every single wall covered with book shelves, with a few smaller ones in the middle randomly.

“Looking for anything in particular?” a voice asked and I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Every since Caleb came back I’d been more restless and skittish than usual, jumping at every noise and shadow. I kept waiting for him to pounce on me.

“Um…yes,” I said carefully as I turned around and saw a teenage guy with a purple mohawk leaning against the bookshelf. He had a couple of ear piercings and although I couldn’t see much of his skin because of his jeans and long sleeved shirt, I was sure he had a bunch of tattoos to match.

“Alright, so what are you looking for? Biographies and information, or fiction? Horror, thriller, comedy?” he arched an eyebrow, looking me up and down, “Romance?”

“To be honest, I think I have enough of all four of those in my life,” I said darkly, forcing a smile, “I’m actually looking for books on demonology.”

“School project?” he asked, nodding understandingly.

“Um…sort of...no actually,” I said, chewing my lip as I reached one hand behind my back to tug on the end of my hair.

“You’re interested in demons?” the guy asked, eyebrows rising in surprise.

“Yup, they just seem so interesting, don’t you find?” I said, struggling to sound innocent and interested instead of disgusted.

“They certainly are,” he said, “Follow me.”

I frowned as I followed him through the library, “You know about demons?”

He chuckled, “Yeah, I figured hey what’s the harm? Besides, sometimes working in a library gets boring and obviously there are tons of books lying around just waiting to be read.”

“You learned about demons out of boredom?” I asked as he started up the stairs.

He paused on the third step, turning around with pursed lips, “Well, that’s half of why I learned about them.”

“What’s the other half?”

He looked around the library and shook his head, “Upstairs,” he said, before he hurried up the stairs with me on his heels.