Chapter 17: Worse

By the time it hit noon, my phone had already rung several times and buzzed several times as well. I didn’t check it though; I was too busy doing mindless tasks like laundry, washing dishes, cleaning the entire house, organizing my closet, sweeping and anything else I could think of.

When school was over, I heard Ivy come into the house along with a bunch of other people, their voices so familiar that I just wanted to leap out my window and run away so I wouldn’t have to face them and tell them everything that had happened.

I heard them coming up the stairs and then Ivy saying not to bother me too much since I was really sick. My pack knew better. I couldn’t get sick so obviously they knew something bad had happened.

There was a hesitant knock on the door, “Lila?” I heard Matt call softly, “It’s us.”

“Come in,” I said, deadpan.

The door opened slowly, creaking before Matt, Mirah, Dakota and Jared all filed in with Matt closing the door behind them.

“Honey, what happened?” Mirah asked, sitting next to me on my bed. She stiffened after a moment and I saw her inhaling deeply.

Even though I did a whole bunch of chores today, I couldn’t bring myself to change the sheets on my bed. It was my only reminder of Wyatt now with his scent that clung to every fibre of it.

No one said anything for a moment even though they all knew that Wyatt had been here, even if they didn’t know the reason why.

“I don’t know,” I said quietly, finally answering Mirah’s question.

“What?” Jared asked.

“I don’t know what happened,” I said quietly, slowly.

“Why did you miss school today?” Dakota asked softly, hugging me.

I ldidn't hug her back, “Because I didn’t want to go.”

“Why?” Matt asked.

“I just…I couldn’t deal with it today,” I said, squeezing my eyes shut so I wouldn’t have to see their faces anymore.

“Blake asked about you,” Mirah said after a moment, “He wants to talk to you.”

I nodded mutely.

“Lila, come on. It can’t be that bad,” Jared said, and I heard his voice getting closer. I opened my eyes as he slid onto my bed, pulling me away from Dakota and Mirah and into his lap, cradling me against his chest.

“Not that bad?” I said bitterly, “Its worse.”

Losing my soul mate to the psycho demon who tried to kill me twice already who just possessed him?

‘Not bad’ would be the understatement of the goddamn year.

“What happened?” Matt asked quietly, sliding onto my bed as well so everyone was now sitting around me while I sat in Jared’s lap.

I squeezed my eyes shut, swallowing hard as I pulled away a bit from Jared to pull off my turtleneck so I was only in my tank top. I dropped it beside me and let them see my bruises.

They all gasped, “Did Wyatt do that to you?” I heard Dakota asked, sounding like she was about to cry.

“No,” I said, feeling tears prick my eyes, “Caleb did.”

“Caleb?” Matt asked, his voice sharp. “He’s dead.”

“No, he’s not,” I whispered, curling into Jared’s chest, as if I could hide from all my problems if I stayed in Jared's arms. “He’s not alive, but he’s not dead."