Chapter 26: Fighting Dirty

“Okay, give us all the dirty details!” Catherine said excitedly, her green eyes widening.

“What are you talking about?” I asked tiredly, rubbing my eyes. All I wanted was to curl up in my sleeping bag and well…sleep. Why couldn't Catherine pester me in the morning instead?

“Is Wyatt a good kisser?” Keira asked eagerly, leaning forward onto my pillow.

I pushed her off my pillow and lay down, closing my eyes with a relaxed sigh. It was so comfy.

“Well?” Catherine prodded.

I growled. Opening my eyes, I sat up, and said “He’s a good kisser,” then lay back down again, pulling the sleeping bag up tight to my chin. The girls didn't get the hint.

“Just good? He looked freakin’ fantastic and all you can say is good?” Keira exclaimed.

“You know what? Tomorrow I’m going to kiss him and see how good of a kisser he really is,” Catherine said firmly, lying down as well.

I stiffened. "That’s not the best idea." If Wyatt was having trouble controlling Caleb before what was going to happen tomorrow?

“And why not?” she asked, sounding annoyed. “You’re not even dating the guy so why do you care? Unless of course, you want to date him and you're just afraid he’ll pick me over you.”

That was one of the things I hated about Catherine. When it came to boys, she was not afraid to pick the guy over you, no matter what.

I sat up again, using my Alpha tone while praying it worked on humans. “Catherine,” I said firmly, “Do not, under any circumstance, kiss Wyatt. You have no idea what the hell you’d be getting into and it’s a horrible idea.”

“Oh, so you can kiss him and it’s alright because it’s you? But God forbid I kiss him, right?” she snapped.

“Catherine, seriously. Why are you making such a big fuss?” Keira asked, making a face at her, “Come on, he’s hot but he’s not worth it. Besides, you’re only here for one more day so there’s no point.”

She glared at Keira, then at me, before flopping down, rolling over with her back to us and let out an angry puff of air. I glared at her back before I settled down in my sleeping bag again. Mirah and Dakota were quiet, as were Lucy and Ivy, as they turned the light off and we were plunged in darkness.

I listened as one by one all my friends started to drift off to sleep, but I couldn’t do it. Knowing that Wyatt was just a floor beneath me, knowing he was so close that I could have him was driving me crazy. My body had slowly started to get used to not having him around, so while I was incredibly crabby and feeling slightly empty without him around I could live just fine…kind of. I was getting used to it until I had kissed him again.

But it was more than that, more than just being lonely and missing Wyatt. Just as Wyatt was a floor beneath, so was Caleb. At any time he could take over and hurt someone, or even kill someone. Who knew what could happen if Wyatt couldn't hold him back? It was one thing if it was just the vamps and wolves here, I had human friends who couldn't, shouldn't, be anywhere near him.

I was endlessly frustrated and afraid and anxious, too much to sleep, so I tossed and turned all night until about eight o’clock in the morning and the sun was shining dimly through my curtain, making the room a yellow-ish grey.

Finally, I gave in and got up, creeping around the bodies of my friends before heading downstairs. I was surprised to see Blake awake, lying on his back, eyes open, hands behind his head as he stared blankly up at the ceiling. When I entered the room he smiled.