Chapter 18 Another Flashback Part 1

I'd like to apologize for all who have to re-read this chapter! So sorry!

*Flashback*

Subject: Lia Coleman

Time: 3:45 pm

Date: December 27th, 2513 (2 years ago)

---------------------

"Guys, c'mon, we can't be late to our own parents' funeral." I cried, putting on my black leather gloves.

"I don't want to go." sulked Peyton. She walked out of her bedroom wearing her pajamas.

I gasped at her. "You're kidding me, right?"

Peyton didn't answer.

"Peyton Coleman, you put your clothes on right now or else I'll-"

"You'll what?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"I'll..." I was never good at being an authoritative figure in our house. After mom and dad died, I was scared I wasn't going to be able to control my sisters so that we could live peacefully together.

"I'll think of something while you put your clothes on." I said, pushing her back into her room.

The truth was, all I could think about nowadays was how we were going to live. Our house was going to be sold off because I couldn't pay a mortgage. I could pay for a rent, so my sisters and I were moving into an apartment down a couple streets. It took a lot of begging, but I finally convinced Stevens to let me stay with my sisters until Gracie turned eighteen. Fortunately I had thirteen years left.

"Guys, come on!" I yelled. I honestly couldn't tolerate thier bratty attitutes at the moment. All they were thinking about were themselves.

"I'm not coming!" whined Gracie from her room. I grunted, and swiftly stomped over to my annoying little sister's room.

I threw open the door. "WHAT is your problem?"

Gracie froze and gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. She was buried under a pile of clothes on her bed.

"I'm serious! Get your bratty little butt downstairs or else you'll be part of this funeral too."

Gracie was silent.

"Do you guys ever think about more than just yourselves?" I asked, genuinely angry. I stepped out into the hallway and knocked on Kara's door. "Come on! Let's move it!"

Kara opned the door, fully dressed and ready to go.

"Finally. One of you three are actually ready."

Kara leaned against the door frame and glared.

"What?"

"I'm not going either." she explained.

In faster than a millesecond, I grabbed her shirt collar and pinned her against the door frame.

"You better come or else." I hissed.

Kara widened her eyes out of terror and then proceeded to cry. I put her down and ran back downstairs to grab my purse.

Within ten minutes of my terrorizing, my three little sisters came sulking down the stairs. Kara was red-faced and puffy-eyed, Peyton was as grumpy as always, and Gracie took after Peyton. She was trying on her mask of anger, when I confronted her.

"You need to put on some pants." I said, seeing her wear her denim shorts. "It's December, first of all, and it's a formal event, secondly."

Gracie crossed her arms and went "hmph!" as she ran back upstairs.

I sighed out of frustration. Examining Peyton next, I decided that dark jeans and a dark sweatshirt were enough from her, considering it would be impossible to get her into anything better. Kara was dressed in a black cotton skirt with black tights and black ankle boots. She wore her black snow coat so I couldn't tell what top she wore.

"Are we finally ready to go?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

Peyton shrugged. "Mom and dad aren't getting any dead-er are they?"

I glared at her. "Peyton!" I scorned.

Kara burst into tears again.

"I don't have any pants!" cried Gracie from upstairs.

I wanted to crawl into a hole and cry. My sisters were too much to handle. I didn't want to deal with it. As I ran upstairs into Gracie's room, I silently prayed that I could find her some pants.

Gracie stood in the center of her room, crossed arms, glaring at the sight of me. I walked over to the closet, ignoring her glare, and searched through her dully hanging clothes.

I couldn't find a single pair.

"Gracie, where the heck are your pants?" I asked, scratching the back of my head. Gracie conspicuously glanced out the window, then back at me, and replied with "I don't know."

Now, if there's one thing I've learned about this three year old, it's that she cannot keep a secret.

I rushed over to her window and threw it open, to see a pile of jeans lying in the snow.

I slowly reclined my fuming head back inside the bedroom.

"Gracie. Marie. Coleman." I growled.

Gracie struck a look of terror, then grabbed a pair of dress pants from her dresser drawer and slipped them on, falling on her back in consequence.

I ran downstairs. "I'm leaving! I cried. Five minutes later, the three sisters finally appeared at the door, glumly staring at me, looking at least half descent. 

I opened the door and walked out into the cold January morning. The snow was fresh and white, and i felt my cheeks get red against my pale face as a kicked some ice with my black combat boots. 

My sisters, however, were still waiting inside. 

"What are you guys waiting for?!" I snapped. "An invitation or something?!" My sisters finally stepped out of the house, and followed behind me, keeping about five feet of distance as I walked down the street to the bus stop. 

Sisters will be sisters.