Chapter 23 I'm Not Sure What to do With Myself Anymore

Subject: Jordan

Location: Error

Date: December 3rd, 2514

Time: 9:09 pm

Government Monitoring: Error

Code: Red

---------------------------

After Lia kissed me, I wasn't sure of what to do with myself anymore. I felt so...shocked. I felt myself get warm, and I smiled. It felt really good. Now I understood why humans wanted their emotions. They got to feel things like these. Love was a great emotion. I just wanted to laugh and smile all day now.

Except, I was being intensely pursued by the soldiers, who were chasing me down the hall as I was carrying Lia. I wasn't nervous about them getting to me, because I was running at 40 miles and hour, which certainly did startle Lia. However, I was nervous about finding my way out of here without disturbing the rest of the mansion.

Well, I was wrong, thinking that I could get out without disturbing the rest of the mansion.

Lia held me tightly as I sprinted with her in my arms on the front lawn of the mansion. Sirens were going off, and more soldiers were trying to catch up to me by the minute.

I made my way off the Stevens' property, and dashed into the streets of the city. Half of my energy came from Lia's kiss earlier, and half of it was coming from my adrenaline spike.

Lia began to sob.

As I was sprinting back to her apartment complex, I looked down at her. "What's wrong?"

"They're out to get me, Jordan!" She cried, tears falling down her cheeks. "I don't know what to do now. I'm not safe, my sister's aren't safe, and you're not safe anyone. What am I going to do?!"

I went silent, thinking. Finally I answered her. "Lia, you have to leave."

"What do you mean, 'leave'?"

"Like, get out of the country. Wherever you go, you will never be completely safe, but if you get out of the country, you can increase  your chances of staying alive."

She looked a little perplexed. "Jordan, I don't really know if that's such a good idea."

"Why?!" I exclaimed. "You're not leaving any family, or any promising future behind, so you've got nothing to lose."

Lia went silent again. I approached the apartment complex, where I said the rest of the Coleman sisters standing on the curb, wearing huge jackets and carrying backpacks. Lia broke free from my grasp and ran to her little sisters. She hugged them and cried.

"You're all okay!" she cried. "I thought Stevens had you too!"

"Wait, Dictator Stevens had you?!" Kara gasped. "So that's why you didn't come home for almost a week!"

Lia nodded. "Stevens only wants me for my DNA. Apparently I am the only person on this side of the planet with this mutation, where I'm immune to every single disease. That's why they killed mom and dad, because dad had that strand of DNA, and couldn't be killed by any sicknesses!

Peyton gasped. "So, doesn't that mean we have the mutation too?"

Kara butt in. "No, Peyton, Lia has a different mom than the rest of us."

"Oh, right." Peyton chirped. "So did she have the mutation too?"

"No, she just carried it. It's just a little bit more common that women carry the mutation, rather than have it. It's a recessive gene, so only two parents with recessive genes have a chance at having a child with the full-on mutation."