Chapter One.

"We're here to read the results of the paternity test for the child of Janeé Walton. Are all involved parties present?" Michael hired a lawyer to handle all of the paternity proceedings.

He looked quite somber and much more calm than I imagined he would be. Brandon on the other hand was a wreck. His legs were shaking uncontrollably and I already saw him spazz out on his lawyer earlier. I'd never seen him so undone. I could tell he was trying his best to contain his emotions, but he wasn't doing a good job of it.

"Yes." I was the first to speak up. Michael and Brandon both nodded their heads at the attorney. I took another moment to look at Michael. I was surprised to find he was already looking at me, giving me the slightest smile. This could be the last moment he was smiling at me, depending on the results of this test.

Brandon's leg was still shaking under the table, hitting mine and making me break eye contact with Michael. I grabbed his leg impulsively and he looked at me lovingly. I snatched my hand away, not wanting him to think I cared about him at all. He played an integral part in the scheme that got me in this mess I'm in.

"OK, I'll get straight to it, I'm sure you're all anxious about these results." I could tell the lawyer had done this kind of thing many times before, because his concern for everyone came off dry and even a little fake. He took a deep breath as he opened the sealed envelope, taking a moment to look at everyone in the room.

I rubbed my stomach, saying a final prayer that the child was Michael's, fully aware any prayer I said now wouldn't make a difference.

"Well Ms. Walton, the test states that there's a 99.999% chance that Mr. Brandon Smith is the father of your child."

Brandon clasped his hands together to his mouth and closed his eyes in joy and if it weren't for the chair I was sitting in, I would have undoubtedly fallen to ground. I felt everything in my body go limp. I looked to Michael whose lips had gone from a slight smile to a slight quiver, trying to hold in the emotion he was experiencing. He jumped up from his chair, headed for the door. I underestimated how my body was reacting to the revelation of Brandon being my child's father, because after standing up to try and catch Michael, I immediately dropped to the floor.

"Janeé! Janeé!"

***
I woke up to Sterling shaking my shoulders, awaking me from my nightmare.

"Same dream?" he asked concerned.

I wiped a few tears from my eyes as I nodded my head. I'd had this same dream at least five times since I went in for the procedure a week ago.

"You scared me Nay. You just kept screaming 'No! No! No!' like someone was trying to murder you."

I'd woken up sweating, with an elevated heartbeat after having that dream before, but this was the first time someone had witnessed it. I don't think I've ever talked in my sleep.

"I'm scared too Sterling. I can't stop thinking about what'll happen if Michael isn't the father and it's obviously having an effect on my sleep."

"Look, you need to try and keep your mind clear when you go to sleep. All this can't be good for the baby."

My thoughts were going a mile a minute. I couldn't sleep and when I did, I was plagued with this recurring nightmare. I couldn't stop thinking about Michael and how he was doing. I wondered if he thought about me too.

"You're right. Has he said anything about me?" Sterling looked away, not wanting to hurt my feelings.

"No, right? Yea, that's fine. I figured that much. I mean I wouldn't want to talk about me either if I were him." I tried to be strong but the lump in my throat told the whole story. I was hurt that Michael hadn't asked Sterling about me. He knew our best friend was checking up on me frequently, but he didn't care enough to even ask how I was holding up. My hope for an 'us' was fading by the day, not to mention he had a girlfriend who he seemed to really like.

"Maybe you should reach out to him." My face tilted to the side, like he had two heads. "I mean, just try it Nay, you got nothing to lose at this point."

I did though. I was already losing sleep and if my baby isn't his, I know I'll lose Michael for good.

---

Did I get you? 😂 You thought the baby was Brandon's, huh? Sorry, not sorry🤷🏾‍♀️

Welcome back boo! I've been taking so long to post this book because I don't know what to write. All this time I've been gone and I only have five chapters written. I don't love any of what I've written so far, but I'm going to release it anyway. I'm honest ready to let Michael and Janeé go. With all that being said, updates may be a little slower than what you're used to and this book may be on the short side, unless some creative surge hits me.

Thanks for reading y'all ❤️