The New Deal

*AGE CHANGE FROM 12 to 14 IN LITTLE SISTER; TURNED 15 IN Disturbing Behavior*

Emma laid down on her bed at the boarding house, her gaze stuck to the ceiling. She could still remember the feeling of Jonathan's unbeating heart in her hands, his blood dripping to the ground around her. She didn't mean to do it, but when he started attacking everyone, she panicked. The only thing on her mind was to stop him. After it happened, she took it upon herself to bury Jonathan. Damon and Jared had offered their help, but she told them she could handle it. It was her responsibility to do it.

It was already sunrise, a ray of light beginning to hit her eyes. She flinched and checked the time on the clock; it was well past the normal time to get up. Elena had offered to take their home, but she couldn't bring herself to go back to that place. She couldn't bring herself to face Jeremy.

The last time she really spoke and saw him was when she and Elena caught him making out with Anna's spirit in the bathroom of The Grill. So as of now, she did not know what was going on with him. And she missed that. Because of Klaus, she missed out spending time with her brother during summer. There was no way for her to take that back.

She pulled the covers off and went into the closet, putting on leggings, a stripped blouse, and sneakers. Luckily, it was the weekend, so she had nothing to do. Heading downstairs, the young girl went to the kitchen for a quick drink and noticed how empty the house was. Her phone buzzed in her back pocket, indicating a text message was sent. She saw the text was from Elena, asking her to come over for an intervention for Jeremy.

Emma held back sending a reply. Would he even want her there? She let out a sigh. She couldn't avoid him forever. She replied and grabbed a jacket that was draped over the couch, going out the front door.

There was one thing she loved about being a vampire and it was having the ability to go places in an instant. She didn't need to ask for a ride for anyone or run. So, using her vampire speed, she vamped all the way to her home, appearing just before the porch steps.

The Gilbert went up the wooden steps hesitantly, nerves creating goosebumps on her arms. She wished she didn't have that feeling going to her own home, but she couldn't help it. She hasn't been inside it since the beginning of the summer.

She pulled out the keys to the house she always carried with her. Slipping it through the key hole, she turned it to the left and the lock clicked. She pushed the door and it swung open.

"Emma." Elena called out from the dinning room, walking over with plates in her hand. "Thanks for coming. I know things are a bit hectic, but I'm really worried about Jeremy."

The girl nodded, readjusting her leggings. "I understand. I haven't spoken to him in a while so this would give us a chance to talk."

Elena smiled, turning around to head back to the kitchen. "Great. Alaric is almost done cooking. You can eat if you wa-"

"Elena?" Emma interrupted. She gestured to the door frame. "I can't go in."

The smile on the doppelganger's face dropped. "O-oh my, god. I completely forgot. You can come inside."

The last time she had stood by the door, she could feel the invisible wall that prevented her from entering the inside. Once Elena had said those words, it was as if it was broken down all at once. Emma reached out a hand across the door frame, nothing blocking it. She went further and stepped inside for the first time in a while.

"Feels good to be home." she muttered, but deep down, she somehow felt like a stranger in her own home.

Alaric was at the island, chopping some vegetables for the meal. "Hey there. Elena fill you in?" he asked.