Chapter 28

Caleb's POV

It's already February, Valentine's day, to be exact. I know Maddie probably won't feel like doing much, but I still want her to have a nice evening, so I will take her out for dinner and maybe we can go watch a movie. I call her, like I usually do, to check on her and see how she's feeling. After we talk for a while, I tell her that I will be taking her out later.

"You're sweet," she says, "What should I wear?"

"Anything you want," I tell her.

"Well, where are we going?"

"I was thinking I'd just take you to dinner and maybe we could go watch a movie."

"Well, if we're going to dinner, then I should dress nice."

"You'll be beautiful, anyways," I tell her.

She giggles, "You're cheesy. But cute. And I love you."

"I love you. I'll come get you around four, so we won't be out late."

"Okay, I'll see you soon then."

When it's about five minutes until four, I get in my truck and go to Maddie's house. I walk up the steps and knock on the door. A moment later, the door opens and I see the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my whole life. She has on a white sweater dress with light gray leggings, with a little makeup on and her hair straight down.

"Wow," I smile at her, "You look beautiful."

She blushes, "Thank you."

I reach out my hand for her, and she takes it. I help her into the truck, and then I drive us to Olive Garden. Eventually, we finally have our food.

"Have I mentioned how beautiful you look?" I ask before taking a bite of chicken.

She twists her fork in her spaghetti, smiling, "I don't. Definitely not now."

"Yes you do. You're always beautiful," I tell her.

"Ah," she furrows her eyebrows.

"What? Are you okay?" I ask, concerned.

"Yeah," she smiles, "But no, I'm not. I feel fat."

"But you're not," I smile back, "It's all her."

After I'm done eating, I wait for her to finish. She's almost done when she drops her fork, suddenly, and her mouth opens a little.

"Maddie?" I furrow my eyebrows.

She holds a hand up before putting it on her forehead, closing her eyes. She lets out a breath, and I feel my heart beating out of my chest.

"What's wrong?" I ask, "Are you sick or something?"

"No," she finally speaks, "It just hurts."

"Hurts?"

"Yeah, she's just kicking really hard," she closes her eyes again.

"Oh," I say softly, not knowing what else to say, "is it supposed to hurt that bad?"

"I don't know," she looks at me, "It's like it's in a pattern."

"Do you think you should..." I start.

"Caleb, something doesn't feel right," she shuts her eyes tight.

"Come on," I tell her.

I quickly leave some money on the table, not worrying about getting change back. I help Maddie up and then help her to the truck.

"It's weird," she says.

"It'll be okay," I tell her, trying to remain calm, "Is it bad?"

"Just enough to bother me," she says, "I'm scared."

"It's going to be fine. I'm sure she's fine."

When we get to the doctor's office, she answers questions and explains what she's feeling. When they give her an ultrasound, there seems to be no problem finding the heartbeat.

"Then what's going on?" Maddie asks.

The doctor laughs, shaking her head, "Hiccups."

"What?!" Maddie looks confused.

"She has the hiccups."

Maddie looks up at me, a smile quickly forming as she laughs as well. I join in, laughing.

"And I was so scared," Maddie wipes her eyes.

"Why are you crying, babe?"

"I'm happy," she giggles, "and... I don't know."

When we get back in the truck, I look at her for a moment, "Well."

"I'm sorry," she says.

"Why? There's no reason to be," I smile.

"For kinda ruining the evening," she giggles.

"You didn't," I tell her, "I'm just glad she's okay."

"Me too," she says, "She scared me to death. I thought I was gonna have to ground her, and she's not even here yet."

I laugh, "You're cute."

"You're cuter," she says, "I can't believe how soon she'll be here."

"It won't be long," I smile, "I can't wait to meet her."

"Me either," she smiles back, "Thirteen more weeks."

I drive her home, and she asks me to stay with her for the rest of the evening, and we decide to just watch a movie at her house.

"I'm a little nervous," she says, after I bring her a glass of water.

"About what?"

"Everything," she answers, "Being a mom. I mean, I'm only seventeen. What if I'm not a good mom? I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm-"

"Stop," I interrupt her, "You are going to be an amazing mom. And you'll have plenty of help. Not only from your mom, but from my mom as well."

"Yeah," she smiles, "It's just a lot."

"You'll be fine," I tell her, "I promise. She is so lucky to have you."

"She needs a name," she smiles, "And I think I have it now."