28. S is for Secrets

| Edited |

Chapter Twenty Eight

As I cross my arms against my chest, I eavesdrop as Cassandra and Alex talk.

Sitting in the back seat by myself, I hear them talk about something in the front of the car.

"Yeah..that is exciting." Cassandra adds

I squint my eyes as I looked at them.

Why won't they tell me?

What are they waiting for?

The right moment, my ass.

An awkward silence fills the car and I roll my eyes.

I clear my throat, "So..your brother going to be fine, right?"

"Yes I sure hope so."

"It's sad that he's paralyzed."

She nods, "Yes but as I remember him, he was always strong about every situation he endured."

"So..anything else happen at the hospital?"

Cassandra looks at Alexander and then turns around to look at me.

"Not really.."

"Not really?" I repeat

Alexander lets out a breath and Cassandra looks at him and then at me. She looks at me and slowly squints her eyes.

"Yes.."

I roll my eyes.

Why doesn't she want to tell me!

I look back to see Cassandra still looking at me. She looks at me with squinted eyes and tilts her head.

"Alright. What do you know?"

I sit back in my seat.

"Nothing." I lie

She purses her lips together and turns back in her seat.

After a few minutes, we arrive at Kelley's house. Alex parks closer the door and we walk out. Cassandra and Alex walk together talking quietly to themselves, as I walk by them awkwardly.

We climb up the complex's staircase to Kelley's apartment door. Cassandra knocks two times and after a moment Kelley door swings open and she appears.

Kelley looks at all of us and lightly smiles.

"Come on in."

Kelley moves aside, Cassandra walks in giving her a light hug. Alex follows giving her a light hug and kisses her cheek. I walk after him and she looks down at me.

She smiles, "Congratulations Jacklynn."

"For what?"

"For-"

"For..For graduating high school very soon...right?"

I turn to see Cassandra standing next to Alex near the kitchen table. Alex looks at her and frowns at me.

"No for-"

"Yes for."

Cassandra looks at her aunt and cocks her head. Kelley nods and then looks at me.

"Yes for graduating."

I family smile, "Thanks."

Kelley nods and gestures to the table.

"Dinner is almost done but we can sit."

I nod.

Alex holds a chair out for Cassandra and she sits down smiling. Alex sits down next to her and I awkwardly pull my chair out.