27. Those Three Lovely Words

| Edited |

Chapter Twenty Seven

I lay my head on my brother's shoulder. I sniff my nose as I look around at the blank hospital room. So many thoughts float around my head.

Pregnant? Me.

I can't believe I'm pregnant and I'm only 24. I always pictured myself married for years and then getting pregnant.

This is so crazy.

First, my brother getting shot and being paralyzed to waist down and now me..pregnant.

May The Lord be on my side throughout this whole pregnancy.

I sigh as I held onto my brother's hand as I laid against him. I lift my head to see his chest ventilating up and down as he slept with a plastic thing in his mouth.

He looked so...helpless. Imagine how we're going tell him..he can't walk.

I lay against him again.

"Lord. May you please watch over my family during our time of need. May you watch my brother as he has to progress throughout his life without walking. May you watch over me and my baby as we go through the long process of his or her's birth. In all everlasting health..Amen."

"Amen."

I look up startled to see my aunt at the frame. I look at her weakly as I smile lightly.

"Let's go Cassie baby they need to look over Rodney for awhile..without visitors."

I look down and I look back at Rodney's helpless body.

"Okay."

I rise from my seat and I lean in and brush my lips on top of his forehead. I caress his arm and I step away from the bed. I walk lifeless to the door and my aunt wraps her arm around me.

"You okay?"

"Just so much news coming at me at once today..I..I."

I stop walking in the hallway. My head stings in the forehead staggering me back.

"Cassi-"

"I'm fine."

I shake it off and I progress down the hallway to the waiting room. I look left to see no one I know and then I look right to see Alex sitting looking rather uncomfortable as he sat.

I stood there and after a moment he looks up and see me. He leaps from his chair to my side.

"Hey..are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

He nods as he leans in and kisses my forehead. He lets go and pulls me into a tight, firm hug. I stood there for a second and then I hug him back. As I hugged him back, I could do nothing but let out a cry.

I cry a few cries and he pulls me closer.

"It's going to be alright."

I nod.

"Okay."

He lets go and I wipe my tear stained cheeks. I sniff and I turn to my back. My aunt looked at us saddened.

"You want me to cook you guys some breakfast..at home?"

I shake my head, "No. I need to lie down and soak everything in."

She nods and looks at Alex and frowns. I look up at Alex looking at her nervously. Kelley walks past Alex with narrowed eyebrows. She turns to me a and lightly smirks.