Chapter 11

Chapter 11

He walked back home quickly and let the kids play in the living room while he prepared dinner. He kept checking on them now and then. Just to be sure they weren't putting anything small and dangerous in their mouths.

He heard the turn of the key in the door and soon after came that voice "I'm home"

he smiled. She was back home, safe and sound. It's what he waited to hear every evening when she'd go out on duty.

"I'm in the kitchen." He called out.

She took her time, probably taking her scarf and coat off and hanging it up in the coat room, and then her heard her footsteps. He looked up to see his beautiful wife walking towards him.

"Hey, how was your day?" he asked.

He put his arms around her and kissed her, she was tired. He could make out by the way her entire body seemed to relax in his embrace.

"My day was good. What about yours?"

"It was spectacular. The kids and I had so much fun at the park. I'll tell you all about it, once you're changed and relaxed."

She kissed him again and said "I'll go let the kids know I'm home. Then I'm going to take a quick shower, and I'll be right down soon after"

she walked into the living room and found Nate holding on to the couch and standing up. And Jo at his feet, sitting and playing with her teddy bear. She walked to where they were and sat on the couch.

She carried Nate and put him on the couch beside her. Then she carried Jo and placed her on her lap. Nate eventually climbed up into her lap too.

"Mmm" Jo mumbled

"Yes baby, I'm home now."

Nate looked up at her and smiled.

"Daddy told me you guys had a lot of fun today."

Jo looked around the room until her eyes spotted the ball they'd been playing with earlier. And she started clapping her hands together again. Kate laughed at the innocent gesture. And kissed her little baby girl.

Nate stood up on her lap and rested his cheek against her right shoulder, putting his thumb in his mouth and sucking on it softly. Kate held him close. These kids really missed her just as much as she missed them.

He was tired now, and he seemed to be so quiet in his mommy's arms. Jo sat beside her mommy on the couch and then dropped her head to rest on her mommy's thigh. Kate played in her baby's soft little curls.

"I missed you both so much…" she kissed Nate and took in the scent of him.

"I'm going to be at home all day tomorrow… so don't you kids worry. And soon, I'll take a few days off from work, and we can all go out to the Hamptons. You guys won't have to miss me so much then"

Rick walked in at that moment and the sight made his heart melt. They were both draped around her, like she was their oxygen.

"Hey" he spoke softly. "Looks like I drained out all the energy from them today."

"Yea" she chuckled.

"I think I better feed them and put them to sleep, why don't you go take a shower and come back down for dinner."

"Yea that sounds good" Rick reached out to take Nate from Kate's arms, but the minute the boy felt his dads hands around him, taking him from his mommy, he burst out crying, weeping out loud.

"Hey hey hey, what's wrong buddy? It's alright. Mommy's not going anywhere." Castle tried to reassure the little guy.

But Nate held on to her clothes, so tight, unwilling to be pulled away from his mommy. And the cries got louder. Soon, watching her brother cry, little Jo began to cry too.

"Rick, it's alright. Give him to me"

Kate took Nate back in her arms and held him close to her. She whispered softly in his ear while rocking him slightly.

"I'm here baby, don't cry… Mommy doesn't like to see you cry."

Jo climbed back onto her mommy's lap, choosing to take her other shoulder to rest her cheek on. Kate had no choice than to lean back against the sofa backrest, and let both of them just snuggle against her. They were clingy, and she liked it. Cause she had missed them too.

"I don't understand why they won't let you go freshen up and come, you'll feel so much better"

"its okay Rick... I'll shower later. They need this."

She looked at them, so calm and quiet. "I need it too" she softly whispered.

"Yea but…"

"Shhh. We're fine"

Rick nodded.