Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Four year old Rebecca Castle was making a fuss again to have her glass of milk.

Beside her, her elder brother was quickly gulping down his orange juice.

"Why are you in a such a hurry today honey?" Kate asked Nate as she flipped another pancake over.

"Uhhh... I... I have to meet a friend before class"

"I see." Kate said flipping another pancake.

"What's this friend's name?"

Just then Jo came downstairs and plopped herself on the stool beside Rebecca's high chair.

"Jo-Jo!"

"good morning Becky" Jo messed up the little girls brown curls.

"Mom, is it alright if I skip breakfast today?"

"No it isn't. And why would you want to skip breakfast, I'm making your favourite"

"but I'm not hungry"

Kate was just about to say something when her phone began to ring.
She picked it up and said "Castle". Proud to announce herself as a Castle now, and no longer 'Beckett'. Detective Kate Castle.

It was Lanie telling her that they caught a case.

When she was done she asked Jo
"Jo, where's your dad?"

"He's just gone in for a shower. Yea, so about breakfast..."

By then, Kate had served her a plate of pancakes and placed it in front of her.

"Eat up. You're not skipping breakfast"

Jo had no choice but to listen. She knew it was pointless arguing with her mom.
Just then Castle appeared. "Oh good, Castle could you make Becky have her milk? She isn't listening to me"

"Daddy!" Rebecca squealed in excitement to see her dad.

"Good morning pea-pod" he lifted her up in his arms and kissed her cheek noisily. She giggled and Kate couldn't help but smile. The sound of her baby giggling always made her mellow.
Castle took her glass of milk and relocated to the living room.

Till then Kate poured herself and Castle two mugs of coffee and served a plate of pancakes for him too.
"Yes, where was I? Nate, so what's this girl's name?"

"Ooooo... A girl? Nate you didn't tell me you found a girl!" Jo teased.

"What, wait, who said I'm meeting a girl?" Nate fumbled.

"Come on, come on... Tell us her name, who's the unlucky little girl"

"shut up!" Nate said

"Jo, stop worrying your brother!"

"come on mom, I have a right to know"

"are you done with breakfast? I can't be late today" he tried to change the topic.

"Nate, if there's a girl, you don't have to hide it from me okay"

"oh my god mom, there is no girl okay. Would you relax?"

Kate just smiled knowingly and sipped on her coffee. When both of them were done they rushed out of the loft like the wind.

Castle heard the door shut and called out "was that them? They left already?"

"yea... Nate was in a hurry. He had to meet someone before class. Wouldn't tell me who though"

"ahhhh... He's got a girl already?"