32

"What?! You're not going to help us?" I asked in disbelief.

We were at Samuel's office, discussing the 'pressing matters' he said earlier. Tony and I were still wearing our formal clothes. They didn't even have the decency to make us change our clothes first.

"I'm sorry, Haidee," Samuel apologised, "my dad found out that I was harbouring the two of you. He'll get rid of my company if I don't get rid of the two of you. I'm really sorry. I don't want my company to be destroyed."

My hands formed fists as my eyes glistened with forming tears, "Sorry if I seem ungrateful, but couldn't you at least extend our stay until tomorrow? We need a place to crash."

He shook his head, "I'm sorry. Even Gabriel has eyes on this company now. I can't risk it."

Tony held my hand and rubbed circles in it for comfort, "Please, just one night. That's all we ask."

Samuel hung his head low, "I'm sorry, you've asked enough. Guards, please escort them out."

My tears fell for real now and I probably looked pitiful as we were held on the arms and carried outside the building. Tony didn't have the energy to fight back. Neither did I. The staff only looked at us in pity as we passed them. Some even took pictures. No doubt to post it on the internet or send it to Gabriel.

The guards threw us to a street far away from the building and left us there with no mercy. I didn't even know where we were.

"Now what?" I asked, not knowing what to do. How would we get food now? We didn't even have money. Maybe we could sell our clothes? But I doubted they'd accept stained clothes.

Tony took a deep breath, "First, let's remove the anklets. I think they're tracking devices." He took off his anklet which was surprisingly easy to remove.

I nodded and removed mine. I thought these were made to only be removed by the palace, but I guess they were at such a haste that they gave us ordinary tracking devices, "Good call."

"Next, let's try to find anyone we know that'd be willing to help," he said and offered his hand to me after he stood.

I accepted his hand and dusted my dress—which was a waste of effort. The dress was stained really badly so why even bother dusting a little dust when it's full of it? "Let's try going to Laurence."

He nodded, "Sound like a plan."

The only problem was that, I kind of forgot how to get to our neighborhood from the company. I wasn't really paying attention when Julianne took me here. Such a bad timing. This place was a little far from where our houses were so I wasn't familiar with it.

"Tony?" I asked in a soft voice.

"Yeah?" He asked as he came up from behind me.

"Do you, by chance, know how to get back to our neighborhood?" I asked sheepishly.

He looked at me with an annoyed expression that looked like a teacher teaching a student who doesn't get addition, "You forgot, didn't you?" I gave him a smile that was full of guilt and nodded. He sighed and ruffled his hair, "Well, we're doomed. I don't get out of the palace much."

"What if we walk around and ask people who are willing to harbour two criminals?" I asked and shrugged, "who knows? Someone might still have a compassionate heart."

He nodded, "Sounds like a plan."

And just like that, we started our scavenger hunt until night. We knocked on every door and introduced ourselves—which was a horrible mistake. Just by hearing our names, they slammed the door on our faces, screamed and told us to leave, blame us for the deaths of their loved ones, and throw food at us. Being thrown food at wasn't the least bit of heaven we felt. They threw rotten food at us. Where they got it was a mystery but we couldn't do anything but leave. Some even threatened to call the palace on us, and some called them—in which case we ran for our lives making my feet ache from being barefoot.