Chapter Three

We talked for hours until I finally asked the question I needed a definite answer on.. I said "do you want to be in my son's life? and I don't mean half way, a father is a full time thing. You don't get to pick and choose when you wanna be there and when you don't."

He nodded his head and said "yes I want to be part of his life, all the way."

I said "don't fold on my son. Anyways tell me what you been doing? You working?"

He laughed a little and said "yeah. I own a couple of businesses."

I looked at him and said "what businesses?"

He said "H Industries. We have everything from clothing store, cafe, gym equipment, groceries, salon, etc."

I said "that's pretty cool."

He said "you still be doing hair and shit like that?"

I said "yeah on the side, I took my certification test about a year ago so I'm a certified cosmetologist."

He said "mhm, we just started up about a year ago. If you ever wanted to stop being a "bottle girl" I can get you a job there. Just need to know you bout ya shit."

I looked at him and said "what you mean bout my shit? I was never dumb. I always go to work unless my son sick and that's from 9pm to sometimes 6am. Don't play with me."

He said "chill out Haze ain't nobody insulting you. Are you interested working there?"

I thought about it and said "how much would I make?"

He said "let me make you the salon manager/ head stylist. That'll make you six figures plus tips."

I said "what time would I work?"

He said "everyday but Sunday. Monday through Friday 10-8. Saturday 10-3."

I said "that sounds good but Harlem has to be picked up from his daycare before 6 and there is no daycare on Saturday."

He said "I work from 7-5. I can pick him up and hang out with him for a little. Then I'll watch him until you off Saturday."

I looked at him thinking about it, I said "my son won't just go with you."

He said "our.. but I know, I want you to start Monday so I'm going to need to at least meet him sometime this weekend."

I said "why don't you just stay in my guest room tonight and we can all do something in the morning."

He said "aight that sounds good."

I said "can I ask you something and you don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable."

He said "of course."

I said "I noticed at the club you drink water, here you drank water. Not saying I'm forcing alcohol on you or anything but why don't you drink?"

He gripped the water bottle a little and said "so a little bit before you told me you were pregnant. I had started drinking, and not a little. I would get blackout drunk when I wasn't with you. Even though I never wanted to admit it you were like my peace. So when you told me about Harlem at first I promise you I was gone. Anything I said it was just the liquor talking. Eventually I went to a 30 day rehab program and I still am in therapy so I don't relapse. So far I been 2 and a half years sober."

I had felt tears build up in my eyes. I felt bad because I never knew he was going through this. I said "sorry if that made you uncomfortable."

He grabbed my hand a little and said "it's not your fault Hazel." He wipes my tear off and squeezed my hand a little.