Chapter Four

When I said that, Harlem got down from my arms and walked over to Hakeem. He said "so you my daddy?"

Hakeem said "yeah."

He looked at him weirdly and said "where you been?"

I said "Harlem I told you, he was on a top secret mission. He's back for good now though."

Hakeem looked at me kinda weird but there is no way I was gonna let him say oh hey I'm your dad and I didn't want shit to do with you. Now I do. Harlem said "mission complete?"

Keem laughed a little and said "yeah mission complete."

Harlem said "pick me up please."

Hakeem looked at me and then picked him up. He sat him on his lap and Harlem grabbed his face looking at him. He said "what you doing?"

Harlem said "you kinda ugly."

I started laughing on the low but I said "Harlem that's not nice. Apologize."

Harlem smiled and said "I'm sorry. You an ok looking daddy I guess."

Hakeem started laughing and said "you mean just like ya mama."

He said "hey! My mommy isn't mean. Will you hold me mommy?"

I said "yeah come on."

He got in my arms and Hakeem just looked at the both of us. He said "you got him spoiled."

I said "he is not spoiled."

He said "mhm ok.. so what do y'all usually do anything on weekends?"

I said "what you wanna do for the day papas?"

Harlem said "can we got to the paint place where they have the big playground and stuff?"

I said "yes. You need to ask Daddy if he wanna come though."

Harlem looked at me then looked at Keem and said "yeah come on."

I said "Harlem go to the door while I get your stuff papas."

He got off me and I went upstairs and grabbed Harlem some socks. When at the door I put Harlem's socks and sneakers on him and then put on my Birkenstock's. Hakeem said "I don't have a car seat soo.."

I said "you can ride with us if you want." Hakeem walked with Harlem outside while I locked up and unlocked my car.

Within a couple minutes he needed help buckling Harlem in. I went around and said "I got it if you want to get in."

I buckled Harlem in and said "all good papas?"

He said "yes mommy thank you."

I kissed his forehead and then got in the front. I put on his ipad for him and he had his headphones in. Hakeem said "my fault about that I'm still kinda getting used to it."

I said "you're fine, I'm just glad you are trying Hakeem."

He said "you've really matured and changed Hazel."

I said "it happens when you have a kid.. even though I've been like this."

He said "yeah maybe it was me who was the asshole."

I said "ya think?"

He said "I really do apologize."

I said "it is what it is Keem, as long as you around for him now that's all that matters."

He said "yeah and I will be. Has there been any other niggas around my son?"

I said "absolutely not."

He said "do you have a boyfriend?"

I said "nope, it's been just Harlem and I."

He sighed and said "I'm sorry because I know it's partially my fault.. I ruined a lot of stuff for you."

I blinked my tears away and said "it's ok. Can't blame you."

He said "stop saying it's ok.. it's not Hazel."

I said "this is how I've dealt with everything though. If it's not ok, then I'll end up how I was before. Hurt and alone, but that's not happening again. So it's ok Hakeem. Leave it alone please."

He said "alright Hazel."

When we got there Hakeem successfully got Harlem out his seat and held him. I grabbed my purse and we walked into the building. We went into the art space and Harlem just about jumped out of Hakeem's arms. I sat down next to him as he painted. Hakeem said "you're a really good mom. Everything you do for him and kid could only dream of living a life like him."

I looked at him and smiled replying a "thank you. I do my best."

Harlem said "daddy can you help me?"

Hakeem looked at me a little and I said "he just wants you to hand him the paints, and tell him how good it is.. don't stress yourself out. You're his parent too, you don't always have to look at me for reassurance."

Hakeem nodded and went over to help him. Harlem said "mommy look!"

I said "it looks nice papas."

He said "daddy helping me that's why." Then he whispered something into Hakeem's ear which made him laugh.

I said "what you say? I wanna laugh."

He said "I said you not a good helper mommy."

I said "geez man, ow. My feelings."

I forgot that Hakeem was or use to be an artist. He's actually really good and I wonder if he ever stopped. He had so many different layers to him it was insane.. one minute he was an artist, then a basketball player, and now a business owner and now a father. I was most interested to see what this layer was going to show. Hakeem said "can daddy help?"

Harlem said "yeah put pink there."

I said "do you still paint Keem?"

Keem said "no not really."

I said "that's a shame."

I couldn't see the painting at this point because Harlem was on his lap as they painted. I looked at Hakeem and was just examining him and all his features. He had definitely been working out and changed his hair into a low cut with waves.. and now instead of his little hairs coming out his beard he almost has a full one. The way he treated me before the whole pregnancy thing was exactly how I wanted and loved it. We weren't like all boo'd up in front of everybody in school, but out of school it was a constant thing that we were together.