Prologue

It had become somewhat of tradition for the small village, where once a month, everyone gathered at the village center at night fall, made a fire, ate food and listen to the childhood stories or legends from the adults. Of course, the story of the Praimfaya was always told, and it was always told by Virno kom Trikru. His three little girls always sat first row as their father told all the children the story. It was a true story and it was all the little ones favorite. 

"Long ago, giant balls of fire soared through the sky and when they landed, it spread to every corner of the Earth until there was no more land. Some say it started because Earth was angry at its people for being so ungrateful, but others say, it was humankind who wanted the Earth to themselves so they destroyed everything. And from the under ashes, rose the strongest humans ever to live. Some scurried off into the mountains scarred while others fled to live among the stars, but there was poison in the air and they wouldn't be able to live much longer without help. So, their savior fell from the sky-"

"First Commander Becca." One of his little girls, the youngest, Lexa, interrupted with a bright smile.

"That's right! First Commander Becca, gifted them with Nightblood so the poisonous air couldn't hurt them and they could stay alive forever. However, not many were able to keep their gift. Only a few were chosen by the spirit of First Commander Becca and fate would chose who would carry on her legacy in a battle called-"

"The Conclave!" The oldest, Anya, shouted.

"Shhhh!" The other children shouted. Anya sticked her tongue out at them before turning back to face her father.

"People from all over the 12 clans come to see their new Commander to-"

"Pa, if one us was a Nightbleeder, could one of us be a the next Commander?" Anya asked. All the children stared at him, hoping there's a chance they could be a Commander, even though none were Natblida.

"It's possible, yes."

"If I was a Nightbleeder, I would be the best Commander in the whole world. I would have the greatest army!" Anya said standing up with her hands on her hips. Some of the other children agreed with her.

"Well, I would get all the clans together to make one big clan and then I would have the greatest army in the world!" Lexa said copying Anya's stance. More children shouted along to Lexa's plan making Anya roll her eyes. Then, all the children began to talk over one another as they told each other their plans as Commander. Except one.

"What about you, little one?" Her father asked her and suddenly all eyes were on her. She didn't want to be a Nightbleeder because she would have to leave her family. She didn't want to kill anyone not unless she had too like her mother, Astilbe kom Trikru, had told her.

"I don't want to be a Commander. I don't want to leave home. I want to be farmers like you and Ma." The girl stated honestly. Giggles were heard among the other children. A small smile grew on her father's face.

"Then you will be a greatest farmer ever!" He said making her smile showing some of her missing teeth. Their father opened his arms and all of the children jumped into them.

Oh, how times have changed......