Forty Three

When the inhabitants of Velora awoke three days after Geneva gave her speech, it seemed as if the sun had disappeared. The golden rays that would usually break through windows and light up the world were nowhere to be seen. In the palace, servants drew back the curtains completely, but it would take several candles along the walls to brighten the dim rooms and corridors.

Hushed whispers pulled Geneva from her dreams. She rubbed her eyes, expecting her vision to clear and to be greeted by harsh morning light, but there was none. She sat upright and squinted her eyes to look at Emilia and Estelle, who were gathered by the fire, their figures illuminated by the yellow light.

"Ginny," Estelle said, realizing she had woken, and walked across the room to her bedside.

"What time is it? How long have I slept for?" Geneva inquired sleepily.

"It is about nine o'clock," Estelle replied.

"At night?" Geneva gaped.

"In the morning, your grace," Emilia replied.

"I don't understand," Geneva said.

"The sun seems to be covered by the clouds," Emilia said, "Everyone is quite concerned. The chapel is full of people on their knees praying."

Geneva threw her legs over the side of her bed and padded across the floor to gaze out of the window. She peeked around the curtain and, to her dismay, the sky was covered in a sheet of gray. She sighed heavily. "And on my wedding day, no less." She turned around to look at Estelle and Emilia. "People will see this as a bad omen."

"Don't worry about that right now," Emilia said in a loving tone, walking over to grasp Geneva's shoulders. "I can't believe you're to be wed. Seems like only yesterday you and Caris were under my tutorage. Now, look at you both."

"I doubt Caris will make an appearance," Geneva whispered.

"Your sister is mourning," Anna said, appearing in the doorway.

"Mother," Geneva said monotonously.

"Good morning, dear. Or is it? Seems dreary out," Anna replied, closing the door behind herself. "Where is your dress? I assume it's been finished."

"Jessa said she would bring it to me as soon as it's done. They're putting the final touches on it," Geneva said.

"I see." Anna's eyes lingered on Geneva for a moment, and the queen couldn't tell if it was admiration or disappointment. "Are you sure—"

"Yes, Mother," Geneva interrupted, forcing a small smile. "Completely."

"Well," Anna said through a sigh. She walked across the room and reached for her daughter's hands, squeezing them tight. "You will make a beautiful bride."

Geneva paused, taken aback by her mother's words. "Thank you," she said softly.

Anna released her hands and stepped back. "I'll go now. Let me know if you need anything, G."

Geneva nodded and watched as her mother exited the room. When she was gone, Geneva released a breath she had been unknowingly holding and plopped herself down in the chair before her vanity. She gazed at herself in the mirror and noticed a frown on her lips. As Emilia crept into the reflection, Geneva looked into her eyes.

"Your father would be proud of you, and I know she is, too," Emilia said. "Now, no tears. Let's get you ready."

As the Queen of Velora, Geneva took the liberty to go against the traditional blue wedding gown, and, instead, entered the chapel in a dress of silver material. The gown glittered in the glow of the candlelight, and eyes widened as people turned within the pews to look at their queen on her wedding day. Her golden hair was intricately woven in a braided crown, a veil of silver silk draped over her head, shielding her face from the audience.