Oops

"What are these?" Bane leaned against the wall gesturing to the pregnancy test. His eyes were wide as he ran a hand through his hair. Without even answering him I reached for the sticks....positive...all of them.

"They're pregnancy test, Bane."

"What do they say?" I looked over at his face so I could watch his expression.

"I'm pregnant. " His face froze, displaying no emotion. I stood there watching him act like a statue for minutes.

"Aren't you going to say anything? " I spat angrily. He just stood there like a robot.

I tried to brush past him but his arms locked around me quickly. He pressed his face into my hair and held me tightly.

"I'm sorry, it's just...I'm so happy. " He breathed.

I blinked back tears and rested my head on his chest, listening to the rhythm of his heart.

"I am too."

The news of our little surprise lifted the mood around the compound for a few weeks. Even through the constant pressure Kane kept up. He was relentless in his pursuit. 

The twins and Dimitri grew cranky at being held up in the house for so long. Even my wolf itches for a run. After Bane and the boys had left to secure a part of the wall, Fey, Claire and I snuck out for a release. 

"I'll watch the pups first, you too go on." Fey said shooing us towards the woods. She wouldn't hear a complaint from me.

I shook of my clothes off and laid them in a pile near a tree.

Kneeling down on all fours I let the shift roll over me.

My muscles shook as my bones realigned and dark brown fur sprouted across my skin. A small movement in my stomach surprised me. I hadn't felt that in years. The baby was shifting inside of me.

A noisy brown wolf pressed her muzzle against my shoulder.

Ready?

I was ready two days ago.

She chuckled before taking off in a sprint. I launched myself after her, digging my claws into the soft dirt.

I nipped her tail as I passed by and she yelped in surprise.  We chased eachother through the dense brush, and the wide meadows until we hit the wall.

Claire froze in front of the tall rock wall, looking up.

What's wrong?

Just as I asked my question was answered.  The sharp stench of unfamiliar wolves shocked my nose.

She looked over at me with fear in her large brown eyes.

It's Kane.  He's breeched the wall.

No! He just got close. Let's get back to the house and warn Bane.

"Not so fast, Princess." A heavy boot connected with the side of my head and darkness consumed me.