13 Picking up the Pieces

Aden and Eden were great motivators to get my parents out of bed. They started eating breakfast and dinner with us, and went to the play ground with the twins and me. They were looking better everyday, physically, but I noticed little things. Like how they never touched anymore, no little kisses or hand holding. They would space out during conversations, or would start shaking whenever someone brought up California.

Claire was worse. She prefers staying in her room all day, and it takes a lot of begging to get her out.

Today, after an hour of begging I got her dressed and led her down stairs. The twins, Dimitri and Eli were already scarfing down food as Fey set it on the table. "Good morning girls!" Fey exclaimed seeing us. I said it back and Claire just waved nervously.

Fey smiled softly at her, her motherly instincts kicked in. She set out two more plates. "Come on, before these little monsters eat it all."

I sat next to Eden and Aden, and Claire sat to my right. "Hello!" Eden said looking around me at Claire. Claire gave her a tentative smile. "Hello, what's your name?"

"Eden." Claire's eyebrows rose. "Really?" She looked at me and then back to Eden.

"She's your daughter." It hit me then how little I had explained to her. She practically knew nothing.

"Yes, Eden and this is Aden." Her eyes bulged.

"Twins?" I smiled to myself. That was the reaction from day one.

"That's the reason you left? To keep them safe."

"Yes,"

I ran my hand down Eden's hair, watching my babies eat. I had kept them safe from him. From a life like that.

"Okay everyone dig in!" Fey said setting down the last plate.

"Wait, were are those boys?" She glared at the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs. They walked into the room, both on the phone, talking to different people.

I cleared my throat loudly, but neither one of them moved. "Bane! Dominic!" I snapped and they both looked at me in confusion.

"Phones. Away. Now."

"I'll call you back."They said in unison.

"Was that really nec...." his words trailed off as he stared at the person next to me. I was about to bite his head off and tell him staring was rude, when I realized she was staring back with an equal look of awe.

"Claire?" What's happening?

"Mates." Eli and Fey exclaimed all at once.

"Mates." Dom said staring at Claire as if she was his whole world. Something in Claire snapped and she bolted.

Dom sprinted after her.

I was about to chase after her too but Bane rested a heavy hand on my shoulder.

" Leave them."  I looked around the table in confusion. "Can anyone explain what just happened?"

"Isn't it obvious? Claire and Dom are mates. Don't you remember seeing Bane for the first time?"

I looked up at him and he gave me a kiss. "We were only children then. We didn't know exactly what love was, but I just knew I never wanted to be away from him."

"Yes, that feeling is what just happened to both Claire and Dom."

"Then why did she run away?" Fey shrugged. "Its probably a lot to take in. Especially after something she's been through."

I was itching to go after Claire, but Bane took her empty seat and held me in place.

"Wow, this looks great,Fey." He said kindly.

My stomach lurched at the smell of eggs. I barely made it to the sink before the one bagel I ate came back with vengeance.

Bane was right beside me in an instant, pulling my hair back.

"Mommy?" Aden whimpered behind me.

"I'm fine baby, just got a little sick for a moment." Bane handed a napkin to wipe my mouth before I turned around to face everyone.

"Sorry, guys. I'll be right back."

"Try not to get any on the carpet!" Eli yelled after me and I heard Fey slap the back of his head.

I headed to our bathroom in our room to brush my teeth, and get this horrible taste out of my mouth.

"Hey,...Are you okay?" Bane asked leaning against the door.

"Yeah I'm fine. It was nothing." Was it?

"Are you sure?" Bane gave me a worried look. Smiling I wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Do i look sick to you?"

"Not now, but a few minutes ago you did."

"Well, I'm good now. What do you have planed today?" We hadn't had a lot of time as a family. Just us together. And even though Eden absolutely adores Bane, Aden still hasn't warmed up to him.

He still had a look of worry in his eyes when he answered.

"Nothing I can't put off. What are you planning?"

"Wanna go to the lake?"  Fey had told me about the lake right outside the compound. She and Eli took Dominic there all the time.

"Just us and the twins. Have some fun?" He smiled kissing my forehead. "Whatever you want."