-Chapter 11-

The Raiders

Naajim

Naajim regretted his made up fairy tale next thing in the morning when Bindaq decided not to ride on the baaqui but to walk alongside it like his brother. Bindaq, feeling adventurous and brave and also a bit determined after the story, proudly wobbled on the sand alongside Naajim. Eventually, Naajim ended up carrying his brother over his shoulders while the boy played with this thick curly mess of hair.

'One day I'm going to be like the boy too!' Bindaq said as he pulled a strand from Naajim's hair. Naajim could do nothing but sigh. He loved his brother. But sometimes it can be rather exhausting.

The sun mercifully glared at them throughout the first few hours of the day before turning relentless once it reached its zenith. By that time, Bindaq gave up in his heroic exploits and got back on the baaqui with his mother. Naajim remained on foot alongside.

For the time being, Naajim just hoped that it would be just a normal boring day in the desert. That was, until their line came into an abrupt halt without warning. Sha-haaz, after settling the beast stomped ahead of the line while those in the palanquin poked their heads out of their little shelter.

'What happened?' an old man yelled from up.

Naajim looked up, shrugging. Curious, he followed Sha-haaz. Some people were yelling from ahead. Soon enough, Sha-haaz scrambled towards them as he waved his staff, 'Raiders! It's the Raiders!'

Gasped and shrieks filled the air. Someone wailed. Naajim looked up, noticing his mother who held Bindaq in his arms. Sha-haaz poked at the baaqui, urging the animal to turn the other way and flee. The livestock behind them whined as people tried to get away from the raiders before they approached their part of the commotion.

Raiders were fairy tales. Fairy tales Naajim never expected to meet in his lifetime no matter how many stories he had heard of them. They robbed nomads and merchants, took slaves and killed mercilessly. It would be a miracle if they could somehow escape from them unscratched.

But then again, not everyone was lucky every day.

The people of the line ahead of them were running away. At a distance, Naajim saw a cloaked figure running while carrying a bundle. The figure could not run far off before whoever it was, fell onto the ground.

The person did not get up again.

The cry of veerai filled the air. Someone screamed. Actually, a lot of people screamed. Baaqui bolted away, carrying its passengers along with them. Sha-haaz and Naajim stood upon the sand dunes, watching. For once they weren't at each other's throats.

'Boy,' said Sha-haaz, 'Can you hold them back? I will get the others to safety.'

Naajim snapped his head to the elder, 'Whatever rumors there are about me are not all true!'

'Can you hold them back or not?'

'I can distract them,' said Naajim.

'Then do that,' said the elder. He was about to leave when Naajim caught hold of his arm.

'What is it, boy?'

'Take care of my mother and brother,' said Naajim. The old man stared at the boy's eyes. They were blazing gold, like a pit of charcoal burning in the night. Sha-haaz nodded before turning away after the fleeing baaqui.

From on top of the baaqui, Bindaq stared at his brother. Naajim noticed his gaze. For once, Naajim smiled at his half-sibling and waved before he allowed the force that he controlled to take over his body.