- Chapter 13 -

The Prince and his guard

Naajim

As expected, the night was long and exhausting. The two fugatives walked through crowds, blending in with the populance. Once the crowd became thin enough they hid among the shadows of the streets, trying their best not to catch any attention. More that anything, Naajim was tired. He just wanted to lay down and rest for the rest of the night without having to worry. Maybe being caught by the sultan was not a bad idea. At least, they might get a place to rest.
But then again, now that they attempted to escape, it might not be so much of a good idea.
The night went on and the busy streets slowly quieted down until only the sound of the footsteps of the vigilant city guards remained. Naajim squatted down behind a crate with Tashara besides him as he surveyed his surroundings. Once he saw the line if soldiers pass by, he let out a sigh of relief before slumping down and leaning his back against the clay plastered wall.

'We can rest... now,' said Naajim.

Tashara nodded leaned against the wall as well. She was tightly clutching her stomach now that the excitement had ended. It was a sure sign that she was hungry.

Naajim felt hunger gnaw at his stomach too and thought of the time he got the chance to eat seasoned roasted meat during a wedding ceremony in his tribe. It was the best feast of his life. Weddings were rare and even if there were, there won't be much celebration. But the marriage was between two tribes with the cheif's daughter as the bride, so it was expected to be extravagant. Then again, thinking about food when you are hungry is not the best things to do.

While they rested, Naajim thought of ways to escape the city. The gates would be heavy guarded.now that there were wanted poeole roaming around. It will be easier for the guards to find them in broad daylight and it will be hard to find a place to hide as well.

Naajim on the other hand had never been to a city, so he had no idea where to go. He surely was at lost.

As the night continued, a heavy head fell on Naajim's shoulders. The boys stiffned. His interaction with girls was almost non existent. Because of all that was going on, he didn't have much time to actually think that Tashara was actually a girl herself, and a pretty one too.

When he looked at her face, he found her to be asleep. Her face was very clear dispite the darkness. It was one of Naajim's gifts. He had perfect vission in the dark, as long as there is a small source of light, as if his eyes absoarb all the light in the world whenever he wanted to.

Naajim wanted to sleep too. Buy he was scared. Unconsciously, his mind created a veil of darkness around the two children and they sat there, soundlessly asleep and away from preening eyes.

*****

Naajim welcomed the dawn with dreed. Tashara woke first and spent a good time poking Naajim on his face as the boy drooled.

When Naajim pealed open his eyes, bright light entered his vision, causing him to cringe.

He hated mornings.

Dusting his clothes, he looked over the crate at the busy streets. It was very crowded. They might be able to blend in. He felt his stomach protest in hunger. Tashara tugged on his sleeve, her eyes concentratng on a stall that sold bread and buns.

Naajim could only sigh. For some reason, he felt as if he was carrying a baqui on his shoulders while night. Even his feet was wobbly. Even if he tried, he doubted he could steal anything in his state.

'I cannot use it,' Naajim croaked.

Tashara gave a pleading look. It was quite hard to ignore. Sighing, Naajim strolled over to the egde of the alley, bent down to hide himself and stared at the shop. There were a few ladies and some lads surrounding the shop. He could use the crowd to steal, but it would also be easier for the crod to notice.