-Chapter 2-

The Knight Tournament

Sapphire

Sapphire never knew she might ever miss her hair. In fact, she hated it. But ever since she cut her hair up to her shoulders, her head felt so weightless it became unnerving. Still, she had to look like a boy.

'But, isn't this a bit too long?' Sapphire asked.

The Queen smiled, 'No. It's short enough. You have a figure of a boy already, even though you are a girl. Not every man keeps their hair short.'

Sapphire nodded and went back to stare at her reflection on the mirror. She hated to admit it but the queen was right, she looked enough as a boy as it is.

'Well then,' said the Queen, lifting up a pair of trousers, 'Let's change shall we?'

Sapphire had a bad feeling about everything after seeing what she had to wear. She had to bind her chest, it's not like she had much anyway. Still, it was rather tight and she had to struggle to breath for a while until she got used to it. Trousers were a nightmare. They stuck to your legs, making you feel like you aren't wearing anything at all. The only comfortable garment she had was the long sleeved tunic the Queen picked up for her from who knows where.

'There, done,' said the Queen.

A gasp escaped Sapphire's lips. Standing in front of the mirror was nothing but a boy. After a while of standing with the trousers, she rather got used to it. More that she moved around with it, the more she understood that trousers were made for movement. Unlike skirts which hindered movement in its best of abilities. While Sapphire mused at her new appearance, the Queen busied herself by cleaning up the fallen hair and Sapphire's old garments. Once she was done, she stood behind Sapphire.

'Don't worry,' said the Queen, placing her hands on Sapphire's shoulders 'I will change things in this kingdom. You won't need to dress as a man for long.'

Sapphire flinched at the touch. Her throat felt dry. She really wanted to say something. All these years the Queen has helped her, she never really showed her much gratitude.

'Um... Yo-your Highness...'

'Yes?'

'T-Thank you... for everything...'

The Queen's reflection smiled. Long delicate fingers grabbed onto Sapphire's arm and twirled her to face the royal standing next to her. Before she even knew it she was engulfed in a hug. It was Sapphire's first in almost ten years. It felt so foreign she did not know what to do.

'Be my knight, darling,' the Queen whispered, 'I promise I will change things for the better. You, my dear, will be one to help me.'

Sapphire gulped, a sense of pride filling into her chest. The Queen wanted her to help. She trusted her. Out of all the girls and boys who resided in the palace, it was her that the queen chose. Slowly, the Queen let go of her.

'Run along now, the tournament will start at the ninth hour.'

Someone knocked on the door.

'Who is it?'

'Your highness,' said a well known voice. The door to the Queen's chambers opened, revealing the Kingdom's Secondary behind the door.

'Cedric,' the queen smiled.

But the knight's gaze was on Sapphire, 'It that Sophia?'

Sapphire clenched her fist, 'Its Sapphire, sir.'