Chapter 6

Zach: Hi

Me: Hi, who is this? (I said that even though I knew who it was...)

Zach: It's Zach. How's it going?

Me: Pretty good. How'd you find my number?

Zach: I'm good, thanks for asking ;)

Me: sorry

Zach: haha, no need to apologize. I'd be curious too if my crush suddenly texted me with no obvious reason as to why and how...

I shuddered at the word crush.

Me: nicely put.

Zach: thanks

And that's how the conversation ended. Our first one-on-one-conversation-not-in-public! I felt so bashful and gleeful when I was texting him. I was texting Zach Russle! Zach Russle was texting me! AND HE TEXTED ME FIRST!

Okay, calm down. It doesn't mean he likes you Just breathe.

I thought to myself.

• • • •

Monday, during science, my phone went off. I blushed and turned bit on silent as Mr. Murphy slowly walked over to me and asked "What was that, Miss Neally?"

"Sorry, my phone went off, it won't happen again."

"You're right, it won't...to any of you, because I will be taking everyone's phones, hashtag, AWAY." Mr. Murphy went around the room collecting our cell phones in a small, yellow plastic basket. Some snickered at his 'hashtag', while others his their phones so he couldn't swipe them.

I groaned and placed my phone gently in the basket. Everyone gave me the stink eye. I face-palmed myself and continued working.

On the way out of science, everyone collected their phones again and headed out into the hallways. As I walked down towards Art, Zach flashed me a smile(!!!!!). I smiled back and felt myself blush.

Stop! I thought.

Don't look so desperate, or he'll think you're even WEIRDER!

I couldn't believe Zach paid so much attention to me all of a sudden.

With that, I entered the art room which was covered in sculptures, paintings and photographs. I went to the shelf that contained my works, and grabbed my art. Looking around the room, I found a seat beside Lindsay.

"Hey, can I borrow your watercolors? I forgot mine." I whispered.

I figured since she's working with clay, that she wouldn't need them.

"Sure." Lindsay answered.

I finished my painting (horses in a pasture, which we were all required to do, should we choose watercolour painting) about twenty minutes. It looked nice, but the horses' heads looked a little, okay, a lot, misshapen. But, hey, you don't have to be a good artist to be in art.

Soon it was lunch. I was sitting with Lindsay, when the devil came up to us and started to taunt us about sitting with just ourselves. She flipped her blonde hair (like I said, cliché/classic).

"Hey girls!"

"What do you want?" Lindsay asked rather rhetorically.

"Just to know if you want to sit at my table." Penelope answered.

I was not falling for it at all, but Lindsay got up, grabbed her tray, and started to walk towards all of Penelope's friends.

"Lindsay, don't go. I have a bad feeling about this." I warned her. "Trust me. I know what I'm doing." I frowned and stayed put.

I'd preferred to watch from a distance alone as I munched on my sandwich.

I could tell Penelope's friends were already starting to snicker and tease her. Just as I was about to get up, Lin stood up.

"LISTEN UP. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF YOU ASS HOLES BOSSING EVERYBODY AROUND! YOU AREN'T BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE SO JUST SHUT YOUR SORRY MOUTHS AND PISS OFF! YOU ARE ALL PAINS IN THE ASS, SO JUST STOP! STOP IT ALL!"

Wow. That's going to be bad. Surprisingly, nobody responded aggressively. Penelope just shook the words off and pretended like nothing happened. Lindsay just calmly walked back to me and smiled.

"Told ya I know what I'm doing."